4 Strand vs 8 or 13 strand

Don

I was on some other forums where they were discussing different qualities in Braid. Some of the seemingly seasoned members claimed that the cheaper brands made with 4 strands has a better sawing affect on weed stalks. So whichever rigs you use for flipping or similar, 4 strand will work better. For long casts use Manny more strands and or coated braid.
I don't know those folks, nor do I know where they fish, I do know you folks. I'd like your opinion on the above.

Solitario Lupo

Don don’t know what to say about as what does it have to do with catching a fish. I’m not out to saw weeds down. Haha. Plus I would want the weeds to stay there and not loose on my lure. You should fish the way you feel comfortable and actually catch fish.

Don

Fish above the weed line and open water within. I don’t fish “weeds"
Don don’t know what to say about as what does it have to do with catching a fish. I’m not out to saw weeds down. Haha. Plus I would want the weeds to stay there and not loose on my lure. You should fish the way you feel comfortable and actually catch fish.
It was referring to when you blow it and a fish takes you right into the pads and you are fighting to get it out. I take it you don't care if you are using 4, 8, 9 or 13 strand? Any old cheap junk will do and if you like it or don't like it you'll never know why and won't ask smart guys like me...........
I sure hope you don't buy cars, wives, inlaws, hairpieces, and computers the same way, lol. Are you using the brand you have cause it was the cheapest or because Uncle Hector said to?

pabassman

I only use braid for applications above water. Brand no preference they all suck
I only had braid on my buzzbait rod. Last spring I did add 12# to a light spinning rod for panfish. Stuff is thin!! It did ok but not still so great to swap them all out to it. Not enjoyable tying 4# floro leader to braid the size of sewing thread in 45 degrees and a 10mph wind. I did develop several colorful names for the task!!

Don

"floro leader to braid the size of sewing thread in 45 degrees"
It was suggested to me that I not go below 15-30 for that very reason. Early this year I put 20 on a reel and lost it on the first cast. Burried so deep it was nothing like a Mono tangle. I cut it off.

Reactions: A-5

pabassman

"floro leader to braid the size of sewing thread in 45 degrees"
It was suggested to me that I not go below 15-30 for that very reason. Early this year I put 20 on a reel and lost it on the first cast. Burried so deep it was nothing like a Mono tangle. I cut it off.
I wouldnt be using a baitcaster when chasing panfish. Thin line is a big help when fishing for deep pannies. 20 - 35 feet is a long way down with light baits. Light line or leader is necessary for for the small baits. If you are on a brushpile, tree, or any cover holding fish vertical is easier. When they are spead out roaming on deep flats you have to cast to them.

Don

Generally I use a spincast reel with 4, 6, or 8 lb for suspended fish. I mostly use baitcasters for spinnerbaits. Once I switch to bfs I don’t know that I’ll need anything but baitcasters … even use them on suspended panfish. Tho the rod would be more parabolic than a casting rod would be.

Solitario Lupo

I sure hope you don't buy cars, wives, inlaws, hairpieces, and computers the same way, lol. Are you using the brand you have cause it was the cheapest or because Uncle Hector said to?
Guess I was a little confused on the subject. Is this what brand name I use for braid. Instead of mowing down some grass. ;)

I have stren on my rods it been years since ive changed it. Have it on my spinning gear still works just have to cut a foot or 2 off before tying a new hook on. Wouldn't recommend for baitcaster.

The other is 80lb suffix I believe. Very good for my baitcaster. I've had some spin outs but so far no bad birds nests that I had to cut out.

Reactions: Don

Don

I bought 4 strand Kast King Superbraid Colorfast 20lb. Its crude by some measures. I'll only use it for Spinerbaits and chatter baits. Its not a finesse line for sure. It is very much more sensitive than the mono I was using. I do wish I had gotten the 12 or 15 lb.