All purpose Flies for LL Salmon, Browns, Pickerel and (hold my nose) Bass

Don

Will these work in clear water one day and the murky water the next? Salt water the one day and fresh the next? If I catch nothing will they at least look good?

To me, Just looking at them, I can see that the eyes have it 10/1. IMG_9494.jpg

truecrimson

Brighter more reflective stuff in murky, darker stuff in clear. Doesn't matter if it's a fly, a jig, a spinner, a soft plastic, or a hard body lure (wood or plastic), same visibility rules apply. As for whether they work, well, everything works. It just has to be the right time, place, species, and technique.

Reactions: Don

HenryDavid

Clouser minnows work well in the rivers. Without current it would be up to you to add action. Where is your top water stuff?

Don

I figured to use spinning gear for the top water. I don't know what or how to use topwater. I tried Poppers, Rapala, frogs...never caught a thing and so quickly switched back to Kieteck shiners. There must be some sort of movement I'm imparting incorrectly. I'll figure it out. But I don't think the topwater is fully insuring yet. Talk to me.
I was intending to troll or jig with the flies. I've read about trolling with flies and it looks fun and perhaps rewarding.
I read for these lakes to start at 60' and work up or start at 20 and work down until you find them but my gear is not very sophisticated. (Quiet TC)

HenryDavid

That's a fly rod popper, just found a decent pic by googling. Most are made of balsa or some other lightweight material. I guess the secret is to target areas near cover, weeds, etc. AND go small, size 8-10 to search with, keep moving til you find the bull gills and crappie.

Melvinp

Will these work in clear water one day and the murky water the next? Salt water the one day and fresh the next? If I catch nothing will they at least look good?

To me, Just looking at them, I can see that the eyes have it 10/1. View attachment 6224No reason they shouldn’t well except for the guy throwing um lol

Don

That's a fly rod popper, just found a decent pic by googling. Most are made of balsa or some other lightweight material. I guess the secret is to target areas near cover, weeds, etc. AND go small, size 8-10 to search with, keep moving til you find the bull gills and crappie.
How do u work them. Short burst? Or Constant troll or no movement at all? Caught nice gills,bass, pickerel and small Crappie on beetle spin yesterday.

Don

Not for Bass?

HenryDavid

How do u work them. Short burst? Or Constant troll or no movement at all? Caught nice gills,bass, pickerel and small Crappie on beetle spin yesterday.
That's probably the biggest no no ! Just let them sit, the panfish will focus in on them and study it, then.. BAM !@@ LOL But seriously, one pop to let them know it's there is all you need. You can add a delicate twitch just to move the rubber legs but really less is better. You can pop them after dark more. YES bass will hit them. I used to toss those small poppers with a light 4wt fly rod in lakes and ponds and had quite a few work outs with largemouths when I wasn't expecting it.

Don

That's probably the biggest no no ! Just let them sit, the panfish will focus in on them and study it, then.. BAM !@@ LOL But seriously, one pop to let them know it's there is all you need. You can add a delicate twitch just to move the rubber legs but really less is better. You can pop them after dark more. YES bass will hit them. I used to toss those small poppers with a light 4wt fly rod in lakes and ponds and had quite a few work outs with largemouths when I wasn't expecting it.
I love the tug of a bass on a 4-5wt. That’s the biggest reason I’m picking up the flyrod again. I’ll look for a couple.

HenryDavid

I love the tug of a bass on a 4-5wt. That’s the biggest reason I’m picking up the flyrod again. I’ll look for a couple.
I can lay some on you sometime. I bought out a local Ace Hardware when they decided to scratch their fishing section, lots of Betts Poppers. I bought some chinese poppers on Amazon but they aren't quite the best. Melvin makes some good ones. Boogle Bugs are the best but at $5 each it's a little crazy.

Don

I can lay some on you sometime. I bought out a local Ace Hardware when they decided to scratch their fishing section, lots of Betts Poppers. I bought some chinese poppers on Amazon but they aren't quite the best. Melvin makes some good ones. Boogle Bugs are the best but at $5 each it's a little crazy.
I’ll get some when I’m at Llbean