Baitcaster: Out of nowhere it came a request

Don

Music to my ears: My Utah Grandson (turning 16) texted me and asked if I have any Baitcasting reels along the line of Shakespeare Sigma. He said he "has found a need for it that he hadn't anticipated". Up until now he has used Flyrods and spinning gear.
For my own use I have been a fan of the KastKing Royal legend II. I don't care that it is not a top world reel as it is very dependable and also rugged. I want to gift him and reel that I can afford and that he can abuse as he learns. Should I be ashamed to get him a Kastking or should I hold out for a more popular name brand? In other words will it embarrass him to receive anything less than a Speed Spool or Tatula? There are a lot of sales going on now. I intend to stay with KastKing for my next BFS reel. Maybe sharing this affordable brand will be something nice to have in common.
Am I over-thinking this? Below are some sales I have found showing significant savings. Royal legend went from 42 to 36 and the C-80 Daiwa went from over $100 to $79.

shopping-1.jpeg1720195952973.png

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
KastKing is very popular with the younger crowd and give credit where credit is due, KastKing was the first company to offer a reasonable priced BFS reel, and works well.

Don

Like I said, his call to me for an old used Sigma, came out of nowhere. I want to be part of that for sure. The kid has been limiting out on trout, high in the Wasatch, I want to be part of that. He has been using crude worm set-ups, Carolina style, and I'm also setting him up with simple but more reliable components. The reel I'm getting is their new bfs reel with a bite clicker and shallow spool. I wouldn't want the bite clicker but he may find it novel and if not I'll disable it over the winter. It supposedly can cast 1/16oz or even less, depending on the rod, and I'm jealous.

KastKing Zephyr Bait Finesse System Drag Clicker Baitcasting Reel

Don

I have my cousins ABU and in our family there are a total of three Kastking Royal Legends. The legends are the nicest though they are 2/3 the cost of the Abu. I have no comparison with the Tatula or Curado type reels but so far I like the Kastking brand.

Reactions: A-5

Don

I'm kind of enamored by the shallow spool trend. anyone else impressed with this?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I'm kind of enamored by the shallow spool trend. anyone else impressed with this?
Me too! Much easier to control and less backlash due to not as much line to deal with and if you do backlash, it’s makes that easier.

I also like to replace line often so I can get 3 fills out of a 200 yard spool.

It has its limitations though because you can only use it on the close to mid presentations but that is most of my fishing with exception to football jigs.

Don

I was casting in the Salem River yesterday and I realized that with 8lb line I was only casting a small portion of my line on each cast.

It only holds like 120 yds or so.

Been wondering about using Dacron Fly backing or 20-30 lbs of mono as backing. I like to change line at least every yr and this may allow me to make line go further.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I was casting in the Salem River yesterday and I realized that with 8lb line I was only casting a small portion of my line on each cast.

It only holds like 120 yds or so.

Been wondering about using Dacron Fly backing or 20-30 lbs of mono as backing. I like to change line at least every yr and this may allow me to make line go further.
A lot of guys use mono backing to fill the spool say half way and then they put a piece of tape over it, this way it won’t birds nest into the mono.

Reactions: Don