Casting accuracy.

Don

Talkin Rods Mostly.
Some of us fish with all the different styles of rods and reels. I’m happy with my purpose driven choices so far, though I own many many more that I acquired and didn’t necessarily choose.
I’m sure that I’ll figure it out more precisely in time but I sure wish I could define…scientifically define…why certain combos are more accurate than others. It would save me some time. For the previous decades of my life I felt that the shorter the more accurate. I now know it isn’t so yet why not. I know that with a 9 ounce spincast reel a 6.6-7’ med/lt rod is the the most accurate. With my baitcaster and/or my size 40 Penn spinning reel that a Med or med hvy / fast 7-7.6’ is about right. I know these things finally. Troutspinner used to say about baitcasters to not be tempted by getting a shorter rod. It’s true. Now I’m slowly but surely learning g how to define why that is. Also, with spinning rigs it seems a hair shorter is about right.
Would love to hear all the wisdom this group has to offer…..I think.

truecrimson

I don't think length universally dictates accuracy. I have short rods that I am very accurate with and I prefer them for specific reasons. I have long rods I am very accurate with and they are also preferred is specific situations. What they have in common is the punchline of the old joke "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?..."

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I think rod selection and accuracy is just a matter of putting time in with it/them and understanding its intended design purpose. I know 7'-0" Medium Heavy with a fast tip is the goto Bass rod but there are so many variations in that it blows my mind.....and wallet! ;)

Don

I don't think length universally dictates accuracy. I have short rods that I am very accurate with and I prefer them for specific reasons. I have long rods I am very accurate with and they are also preferred is specific situations. What they have in common is the punchline of the old joke "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?..."
I'm not sure about Carnegie Hall.

Last edited:

Don

I think rod selection and accuracy is just a matter of putting time in with it/them and understanding its intended design purpose. I know 7'-0" Medium Heavy with a fast tip is the goto Bass rod but there are so many variations in that it blows my mind.....and wallet! ;)
I think that the way the reel sits has a bunch to do with it. And how dense the terminal offer is or weighs. I prefer 6’6-6’10 for the heavier spincast. Tip speed is determined by lure weight. What I can’t figure is why shorter spinning rigs are better.

truecrimson

In what way are shorter spinning rigs better?

I like short rods because I used to spend a lot of time on really overgrown banks and long rods are hell in the underbrush.

But if I am going catfishing from the bank at a big lake with a buddy of mine, we are taking the long rods. And up until the last few years they have mostly all been spinning.

Reactions: Don

Don

"I like short rods because I used to spend a lot of time on really overgrown banks and long rods are hell in the underbrush"

I see you grew up in the 70's/80's too. 😅
hahaha, No, I digressed in the 70's and 80's.....I grew up in the 60's. (I'm only 64) and a half).

yes if I'm clamoring through the brush it's nice to have the shorter rod. But often if I'm reaching over brush, sometimes while standing on the bank, I prefer the longer rod. A scenario like this may be at a park where they mow the banks but not the waters edge and brushy weeds and cattails are in the way...thats when the longer rod works better.

Don

This will be fun...I have all the Zeb's and Johnsons....pick it! 4,6, 8 or 10 lb line? what rod length? what weight and style lure? Prepare thyself!

Wait

Did you mean excepted (as in Not)?

or did you mean Accepted (as in Game On)?