Cut Bait and trout as Cut Bait

truecrimson

So another member and I were talking about cut bait, and I was also discussing it with a friend at work separately and unrelatedly.

The idea came up of catching trout, and using them for cut bait on the spot. There was some question about the legality.

Of course being classical trained at PAFOA back in the old days, I went to the regulations;

FIELD DRESSING AND DISPOSAL OF FISH – It​

is unlawful to possess a fish in any form or condition other than in the whole or having the entrails removed while on shore, along the waters of the Commonwealth, onboard a boat or on a dock, pier, launch area, or parking lot adjacent thereto. Fish may be processed fully if they are being prepared for immediate consumption on site. This does not apply to fish processed at a fish cleaning station officially recognized by the Commission or by a permitted charter boat/fishing guide operation.
It is unlawful to discard any fish carcass or parts thereof into the waters of the Commonwealth or upon any public or private lands contiguous to the waters unless disposal is on lands with permission from the landowner or it is where fish are properly disposed into suitable garbage or refuse collection systems or at an officially recognized fish cleaning station.

Next thing
Bait BAITFISH includes all forms of minnows; suckers, chubs, Fallfish, lampreys; Gizzard Shad 8 inches or less; and all forms of darters, killifishes and stonecats (except those listed as threatened or endangered species). Legally taken gamefish may be used as bait. It is unlawful to use or possess goldfish, comets, koi and Common Carp as baitfish while fishing.

Last mention I've found
It is Unlawful
To use gamefish as bait except when taken by rod and reel or handline in conformance with seasons, sizes and creel limits or when purchased from an authorized bait dealer.

So to my reading it appears legal to use caught trout for cut bait as long as

1) you obey the relevant regs on seasons, sizes, and limits for the trout

2) you dispose of any waste properly

What do you all say? Have I missed something?

Solitario Lupo

Trout are great for Muskie I seen a guy with a trout on once using it for bait alive. Another told me he ate the trout and used its head in the river and showed me a pic of a big catfish. As what I also thought is the baitfish have to come from same waters or anything connected.

Don

I was discussing this very thing with "Another Member" and My context, what I brought to the discussion was that I legally catch small to medium Gills and place them in a bucket. When I have 2 or three I begin cutting them in half as I need them. The is no waste or entrails to dispose of....it all goes on the hook. down they go for Catfish. If any are left live...they go back at end of session. They only thing I can determine to be iffy is at the end I clean off my hooks and toss that in. That could be described as improperly disposing of fish waste if one tried real hard. This time of the year boaters are using legally caught trout whole, as bait, for Stripers under the bridges of Easton.

pabassman

Trout are great for Muskie I seen a guy with a trout on once using it for bait alive. Another told me he ate the trout and used its head in the river and showed me a pic of a big catfish. As what I also thought is the baitfish have to come from same waters or anything connected.
Trout are a prime striper bait on Wallenpaupack especially Nov - April. The bait store near the lake sells a lot to ice fisherman. 4-6". Last I heard $3.50 apiece. I have a friend that fishes cats a lot on the Susky in the spring and he says trout heads are the best bait. They get some trout thru the ice and freeze the heads til cat time.

Don

For Cats in Spruce Run the heads work best as well. The other half are meh! I wonder why.