Drop-shot and Ned Rig

Don

I guess I need tutoring for Dropshotting and also Ned Rig. I've tried both a couple times and have not caught anything yet. Could some of you reflect upon your deep wisdom that you've gained by years and years of skillful application? Weights, Baits and area to fish.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I cannot comment on drop shot as I do not fish it much but for Ned’s, the depth of the water is going to dictate the weight of the Ned head. For 0-15 ft, I use 1/8 to 3/16 ounce. As much as I hate to say it, choosing the right color will improve your bite. I am a PB&J fan for the waters I fish, the waters you fish may be different so experimenting is key.

After casting, let it sink to the bottom on slack line. A straight down sink is important as many fish will strike it on the fall. When bringing it in, use small jerks on slack line, slack line is very important, make sure there is a bow in that line. You want to try and make it seem that the bait is a minnow eating something off of the bottom every 4” or so.

Like a jig, feel it out. If you’re in rock, perfect. If you’re in mud, you’re probably not going to get bit.

Don

If you’re in rock, perfect. If you’re in mud, you’re probably not going to get bit.
How do you place your Rocks...we all want to know. Do you fish right down to 20' or more. Seems like the fall is perhaps a more important part than how you impart movement to it after it hits bottom?
When you say small jerks do you me to hop it or should it stay on the bottom?
Someone, a yr or two ago, told me to use PB&J and that is what I purchased today, thanks

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Place rocks? I see them on the fish finder if that is what you mean? You will feel the difference when you’re on the bottom like a jig.

The jerks are just as important as the fall. I get bit more on working the bait than the fall but there are times the fall is enough.

Envision a minnow working the bottom, eating algae off of rocks. Just a smooth subtle movement, going rock to rock. All relaxed, having the day of days and them wham! He gets eaten. lol

Don

Place rocks? I see them on the fish finder if that is what you mean? You will feel the difference when you’re on the bottom like a jig.

The jerks are just as important as the fall. I get bit more on working the bait than the fall but there are times the fall is enough.

Envision a minnow working the bottom, eating algae off of rocks. Just a smooth subtle movement, going rock to rock. All relaxed, having the day of days and them wham! He gets eaten. lol
Poor ole PB&J.

Hey, why not actually put a minnow on the Ned Jig?

How deep do you find these useful?

Do you use any leaders?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Poor ole PB&J.

Hey, why not actually put a minnow on the Ned Jig?

How deep do you find these useful?

Do you use any leaders?
You could use a minnow, probably get bit more too? I do not use live bait, just something I got out of doing years ago as a plastic is always available, finding a bait shop around here isn’t easy, mostly it’s just a gas station that “may” sell worms…maybe a bait machine.

I typically fish Ned’s 0-15’. Any deeper and I am going to a football jig.

No leaders. 8lb Floro for me.

Don

You could use a minnow, probably get bit more too? I do not use live bait, just something I got out of doing years ago as a plastic is always available, finding a bait shop around here isn’t easy, mostly it’s just a gas station that “may” sell worms…maybe a bait machine.

I typically fish Ned’s 0-15’. Any deeper and I am going to a football jig.

No leaders. 8lb Floro for me.
I'm sorry , I mislead you, I meant a plastic minnow, Zoom, Kieteck etc, etc.
On Bass Resource some said 20 is the breakout. A friend, who only fishes the
Nock, and caught a 5.5 lb on Father's Day, said 30'. I wasn't aware that the Nock had Oxygen at 30'.
All due respect...while they're pretty, I've never caught anything on a skirted bottom jig of any sort...most assuredly not a football style jig. I hope to change that this trip, but after hrs of using them, nothing.
So, for you 8lb mono, above 15' and no leader. Very well.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
No football jig luck yet? I’m addicted to that method. A friend I introduced that to has also fallen victim to the addiction. I suppose it is like every other method, it fits your style and works for that person. Me, I can’t stand throwing crankbaits. Never any luck for me but then I’ll see guys on the same body of water catching using them.

A-5

Jig and Ned rig make up 85% what I throw

A xtra large turd in pb&j is also my go to. Throw it everywhere.