Good times!

Don

I'm hoping to hit the Nock this evening until 10 or 11. keeping an eye on the weather. Those last photos you posted last week...were they taken below conowingo dam?

Solitario Lupo

Glad to hear it. Where’s the pics? Lol. North park is too much of a zoo for me. Those dang people in the yaks and paddle boards drive me crazy. Got the hole lake and they see me fishing and come right for me. Always fun yelling at them go somewhere else you got the whole lake.

Reactions: Don
Glad to hear it. Where’s the pics? Lol. North park is too much of a zoo for me. Those dang people in the yaks and paddle boards drive me crazy. Got the hole lake and they see me fishing and come right for me. Always fun yelling at them go somewhere else you got the whole lake.
We took pics but they didnt show up very well being that they were pretty small!!! We fed a decent sized snapper that hung around for the whole evening! He loved the tilapia chunks we were catching the bullheads on!

Reactions: Don
We caught small bullheads but many swallowed the hook. What should we do go bigger hook? Bigger bait? Circle hooks? Let me know your thoughts.

Blackcat Outdoors

I use circle hooks for bait in the surf, not much of a cat fisherman. I imagine it would be the same principle though, bait above a sinker.

Solitario Lupo

Honestly think that circle hook still are going to get swallowed. I tried that method and still they got deep hooked.

For this i found that bigger hooks with longer shank help the best. If you file the bard off you can still grab shank of hook and get it out. Or when they grab it the shank still won't get swallowed that easy.

Blackcat Outdoors

Invest in some blackening seasoning and a cast iron skillet. Let me know the next time a few swallow the hook and I'll bring the beer. 😁

Don

Circle Hooks are mandated for New Jersey's Hybrid Stipers. Additionally the hooks must be non-offset as well. This gives the greatest chance of a side mouth hookup. Since switching to this style I've not had a fish swallow a hook nor get a hook stuck in the gills or esophagus (or whatever it is called).
On the other hand I still sometimes use 3/0 offset baitholder hooks. They're in some cases very harmful to fish...hard to remove, they hook where you don't want them to.
I've seen a great difference on Bass and especially on Channel Cats.
Not sure how they would work on Pike, Muskie and Pickerel. I almost feel like they would pull right out figuring the way their jaws are built.

It’s not big but loaded with carp. Had a local tell us that there are some bruisers in there. It gets stocked with trout also. Hope to try it again next week.