Line I can afford

Don

Well, ouch, always thought I'd like to have Ambush Someday. Ain't gonna happen$$$.
I've been using the stuff you see for 7$ and I've not had any issues. Now, for the first time to flyfish in two years, I'm considering that maybe I should get new line onto the old Medalist.
What are you guys using that you're proud of and what do you hate in your fly line choices?

Solitario Lupo

I would have to say what are you fishing for but I know you are going for them small fish so any cheap line will work. If going for big fish i would recommend the expensive line as I'm going to get it for them bigger fish. This cheap cabelas line sucks.

HenryDavid

I've purchased all kinds of fly line over the years, from the highly touted "shark skin" to el cheapo. Although line does make a huge difference, I don't want to spend a ton and have it crack or something and struggle with it til I eventually chuck it. The last line I purchased was Scientific Anglers Air Cel on my 5/6wt. for around $30 and it has held up well. A couple years ago I put Scientific Anglers Frequency Magnum on my 8wt. which has a unique taper, costs a bit more and so far so good. I think keeping your line clean and slick helps a lot.

Melvinp

I’ve had a bunch too best thing I can tell ya is if you want to cast distance get a weight forward line but pretty much every good quality line is going to set you back around a 100 bucks give or take 30. I have some old white line(no idea what kind guessen orvise) that I love it’s cracked and rough and looks shot but still works very well.

Don

Uh Oh! I got a problem. The fly rod I'll be using is somewhat heavier than my 4 and 5 weight rods. But....But, I thought it said 8wt on the reel and as it turns out it says nothing. How do I know for sure what it is? It's a good bit bigger and thicker than my lighter rods. It is somewhat parabolic in its flex. It ain't no November Polaski Rod but it does feel like a Steelhead pole. How do I know what I have?

Melvinp

Uh Oh! I got a problem. The fly rod I'll be using is somewhat heavier than my 4 and 5 weight rods. But....But, I thought it said 8wt on the reel and as it turns out it says nothing. How do I know for sure what it is? It's a good bit bigger and thicker than my lighter rods. It is somewhat parabolic in its flex. It ain't no November Polaski Rod but it does feel like a Steelhead pole. How do I know what I have?
Sounds like a older glass rod it will work just fine but you will have to slow your casting down a bit to let the line stretch out behind you

Reactions: Don

Don

Sounds like a older glass rod it will work just fine but you will have to slow your casting down a bit to let the line stretch out behind you
Yes. It was custom built for a friend in the family. It was never used much and through inheritance it came to me. it is gorgeous but perhaps a bit dated. I have a bunch of old 5, 6 and 7 line laying around so I will load it onto a reel and see which works best. One trip for one week in Maine.

HenryDavid

Yes. It was custom built for a friend in the family. It was never used much and through inheritance it came to me. it is gorgeous but perhaps a bit dated. I have a bunch of old 5, 6 and 7 line laying around so I will load it onto a reel and see which works best. One trip for one week in Maine.
I would put the 7wt line on first. You can definitely over line a rod by 1 size and not have anything drastic happen. You could assume the rod is at least a 6wt