Oh Gosh, Now you wanna talk rods?

Don

Tell me what you do, because so far when I have bought new rods and and paid a little more, I've been disappointed. They were never covered by some great warrantee or money back type of deal. They broke, they were gone, no replacement, money is gone too. So whom might I buy a mid priced rod from that also has some sort of warrantee. What would that warrantee cover? It's funny, of all the rods I have (all cheapies) my favorite is a Walmart Ozark Trail, 6'8" Medium/Medium.
how about some good advice on purchasing rods for lees than $100.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have a good amount of experience with St Croix and they do carry a 5 year warranty on the Bass X and Triumph models, they are both just over $100 or so. Not the under $100 you were seeking but they have some pretty good warranties and they cover both manufacturer defects and accidental breakage. Close a door on a rod, break it while being too aggressive getting a snag out, they’ll replace it.

Their warranty return parameters can be read on their website. In short, there are fees but the process is pretty simple, fill out a form on their site and attach some pictures of the issue. If it is a manufacture defect, I think it is $25. If it is your “defect” ;) $60. A friend very recently had a Legend Tournament replaced for $60 that he accidentally broke. Cheap considering the rod is about $270. Another friend broke his Triumph a few years ago and was given the choice to upgrade to a pricier model and they replaced it for the difference.

I am sure other manufacturers have similar processes, the more known companies though may have a better refined process as they have a reputation to keep up. FYI, don’t overlook Bass Pro branded rods, they have a 60 day return policy, a decent warranty and they fish nice.

Purely my opinion……..but I will state is a fact because this is the internet! There is not much of a difference between a $60 rod and a $120 rod in fishing feel. The $120 rod may use a higher modulus blank, name brand guides and handle but how does it actually feel vs a $60 rod from probably china? Not alot different but you‘ll probably have a better warranty and warranty process with the higher dollar rod.

I am getting long-winded but I want to add something to this post…..

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Touching on my Purely Opinion portion but is now fact because I wrote it on the internet………LOL

Fishing equipment is like EVERY other hobby. If you want good golf clubs, it is going to cost you. Want a nicer shotgun for shooting clays, ouch! And so on and so on. You can still compete with your cheap set of clubs from Dick’s or your pump action Mossberg but when you cross over that “mid” threshold, this is when you start seeing some nice differences. Warranty included.

Mid-tier rods, say $150 to $250 bring some nice features, usually the warranty too but there are cost saving areas compared to the upper tier rods where they only use the strongest, lightest materials as well as offer the longest warranties. I’m not saying go out and buy a $400+ rod but if you fished with an upper tier rod…..you’re going to like it!

Quick add to yet another long-winded post. A friend fished with me the other day and broke his spinning rod stressing it too far getting a snag out. I told him he would only need one rod as we were fishing light but I didn’t think about a back up. No problem, I reached in the locker and handed him a higher end rod.

Chad is the typical guy who grew up hunting and fishing and is not a rookie but he’s never bought anything “pricey” either. Up until that point, he snagged many times into trees and had not caught anything. With the new setup, he was amazed, he immediately noticed that his casting was better and that he could feel the bite and proceeded to catch a couple of fish with it. His skills didn’t change, he already had them, we all do, but better equipment just made it easier.

Don

I really appreciate these insights. There is no doubt that better equipment helps one perform better or more consistently. Whether expensive or cheap the first item of business would be to have the right weight and speed. Next the right line, ie while I love Seige there are certain jobs where Braid would be better. It seems that the choices of rods for very specific tasks are more remarkable in the better quality rods. A local bait shop stocks a large amount of St Croix. I need to stop by and mess around with them.
Here is an irony, something I never saw coming, I have purchased and have been using a cheapo Walmart rod for pickerel and general use. Tossing lighter lures it performs perfectly. Who’da think it?
I’ve been saying for two years that I need to improve the rod part of my game. The problem has been that, with the boat and environment in the boat I’m afread I’ll just scratch and break good stuff. Almost bought a boat last year…almost… can’t wait to have somewhat more dry storage aboard. Clang/clattering amongst the rods, reel and lures, like I do now, is a sloppy way to fish and it makes me want to leave the better gear at home.
So far it seems tha medium power and medium speed rods have increased my catch. Especially for bass. It’s easier to keep tension on the line when they jump. That power level seems to affect the distance I can cast. But I rarely have a need to cast very long.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I use rod socks and reel covers on all of my setups. It’s easy to mess up a guide sliding them in and out of the locker. I don’t want to screw up a guide and be out a rod for something as simple as putting a cheap to buy sock on it. The reel covers aren’t really needed but they’re cheap enough too so why not and keep them a little fresher looking in the event I sell one, like the DC I recently sold.

Don

I use rod socks and reel covers on all of my setups. It’s easy to mess up a guide sliding them in and out of the locker. I don’t want to screw up a guide and be out a rod for something as simple as putting a cheap to buy sock on it. The reel covers aren’t really needed but they’re cheap enough too so why not and keep them a little fresher looking in the event I sell one, like the DC I recently sold.
I've seen firsthand how well you care for your boat and gear and you're a great example to us all. I now use socks but frankly never thought of reel covers thought I've sometime used them to protect my fly reels when traveling.
At this point which affordable rod brand is your favorite? Is there one company that can hit all the buttons? I see Dobyns and St Croix mentioned a lot. I had an inexpensive Shimano SoJorne that I love but I broke it.
I ask everyone...which brand is your favorite?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I like G.Loomis, St. Croix and Dobyns but I feel that Dobyn’s is the bang for the buck.

My wife gifted me a Dobyns Fury from Dicks a couple of years ago. I think it was $130. I was impressed by it as it fished very close to the Champion XP series rods I own. It does lack quality in some areas and those guide will bend in an instant but it fishes nice. It’s worth a look.

If you are going to go down the higher end road, be very honest with yourself with what you want the rod to do. Regardless of price, all rods are technique specific and most list their line and bait rating as well as their action / speed on the blank but the average joe doesn’t know much about that, they pick it up in the store and think “that feels right”. Match the presentation to the rod and things go much nicer.

Don

"Be very honest with yourself with what you want the rod to do. Match the presentation to the rod and things go much nicer."

I'm getting there one step at a time. Hesitant due to not being able to identify all these nuances. In other words I know right off what I'm looking for as a spinnerbait rod. So I'm willing to spend more in that area.

But for other things like jigging, drop shooting, Ned Rig and pitching, I won't spend there until I figure out what I am after.

A 12-14" handle feels good for skipping and long casts but for light flipping and small spinner baits a short handle is fine. Also I thought I hated the exposed blank rods but after having one it is now my favorite due to lightness.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
But for other things like jigging, drop shooting, Ned Rig and pitching, I won't spend there until I figure out what I am after.

I am in my 6th year of being serious about Bass fishing and I just figured out the perfect setup I like to use for Ned’s just this year!

I know the market confusion, the social media confusion, questionable advice from guys like me on forums, etc.

If there is one piece of advice I can give to anyone about fishing. Figure out your ONE favorite technique and run with it. It will eventually catch you just as many as the other anglers…..using every other technique, heck, probably more.

I wish I had that advice 6 years ago. It would have saved me a lot of time, money and frustration!

Don

Well now, this advice coming from you, vindicates my behavior for the last year and a half. I simply love throwing spinnerbaits and minnows on lite Jigheads. So it’ll be my first area to target specific rod purchases.
Then, I like Carolina and Texas Rigs. That will be another rod altogether…and reel.

Solitario Lupo

Can always make one with a good warranty. Hook and hackle as lifetime warranties on their blanks. Seems like now since I’m building my own higher end blanks. The rod differences are much better than the cheapos I’ve been buying.
Plus i have bought those high end rods with lifetime warranties and now since bass pro bought cabelas it is no longer available for me. Then you got those that want more money to replace it. My okuma reel a $400 reel was acting up lifetime warranty so I called they wanted me to send it back for $80. If I knew that I would have bought a cheapo for that price and if it broke just replace it.

Don

Can always make one with a good warranty. Hook and hackle as lifetime warranties on their blanks. Seems like now since I’m building my own higher end blanks. The rod differences are much better than the cheapos I’ve been buying.
Plus i have bought those high end rods with lifetime warranties and now since bass pro bought cabelas it is no longer available for me. Then you got those that want more money to replace it. My okuma reel a $400 reel was acting up lifetime warranty so I called they wanted me to send it back for $80. If I knew that I would have bought a cheapo for that price and if it broke just replace it.
Makes perfect sense but I only build in the winter. I was thinking of getting some high end stuff but it is so cool to spread out the money and to get the grandkids supplied.
I have really enjoyed the Royal Legends I have. Normally $42 and now on sale for $36. They got me using Baitcasters and some of the Kastking models will work for the kiddos as well.

Don

What blank company did you settle on for your build last winter?

Melvinp

Touching on my Purely Opinion portion but is now fact because I wrote it on the internet………LOL

Fishing equipment is like EVERY other hobby. If you want good golf clubs, it is going to cost you. Want a nicer shotgun for shooting clays, ouch! And so on and so on. You can still compete with your cheap set of clubs from Dick’s or your pump action Mossberg but when you cross over that “mid” threshold, this is when you start seeing some nice differences. Warranty included.

Mid-tier rods, say $150 to $250 bring some nice features, usually the warranty too but there are cost saving areas compared to the upper tier rods where they only use the strongest, lightest materials as well as offer the longest warranties. I’m not saying go out and buy a $400+ rod but if you fished with an upper tier rod…..you’re going to like it!

Quick add to yet another long-winded post. A friend fished with me the other day and broke his spinning rod stressing it too far getting a snag out. I told him he would only need one rod as we were fishing light but I didn’t think about a back up. No problem, I reached in the locker and handed him a higher end rod.

Chad is the typical guy who grew up hunting and fishing and is not a rookie but he’s never bought anything “pricey” either. Up until that point, he snagged many times into trees and had not caught anything. With the new setup, he was amazed, he immediately noticed that his casting was better and that he could feel the bite and proceeded to catch a couple of fish with it. His skills didn’t change, he already had them, we all do, but better equipment just made it easier.
Good gear feels good doesn’t necessarily mean that it will catch more fish but it does feel good and sometimes that’s what it takes just make sure that if you’re going spend the money make sure it’s meant for a particular use no one fits all stuff.

Don

Good gear feels good doesn’t necessarily mean that it will catch more fish but it does feel good and sometimes that’s what it takes just make sure that if you’re going spend the money make sure it’s meant for a particular use no one fits all stuff.
I hear ya. I really like casting light gear of lest than 1/2oz . That darn PABassman got me started down the road to Plastic minnows several years ago when he talked me into night striper fishing at the Pack. It was only one night but it stuck. Now I own stock in Keiteck and Zoom. for this business of throwing soft plastic, whether alone, on a jig or on a Spinnerbait, I now know that I like medium power and not quit a fast action. Thanks for all the comments. I got this.

Blackcat Outdoors

IMHO, don't put too much stock in the name/price of your gear. If it allows you to do the technique you want to well, go for it. My too favorite rods right now are a fenwick tecnic and an ugly stick carbon. One is light/fast the other is medium/fast. For the creeks I usually fish they work great. They're not the cheapest, but they're what I've found I like so far. That's the key, if you like it go with it. I fished cheap gear for years and years and out caught lots of people with pricey gear.

Don

I LIKE THE WAY YOU'RE THINKING. I'm going to focus more on what I'm good at. I was trying to do it all...PA caught that I guess. For longer casting I use Baitcasters and for shorter casting I am beginning to use spincasters more and more.

Last edited: