Square Bill, We all have one I bet.

Don

I bought a Floating square bill for fishing tight spots and long tosses along the weed line. Ugly little thing. I'm using it on a rig I assembled for shallow water and accuracy for tight spots. It casts very nicely on Sufix Advanced 8lb line. When I cast it out and begin cranking it wobbles ferociously. In order to slow that wobble I mustIMG_0126.jpg slow dramatically. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

pabassman

Looks like a KVD 1.5? I might have one or two of those:rolleyes:. Squarebills have a hard wobble and are designed to hunt on the retrieve. They tend to bounce off rocks and stumps pretty good. Thats where the reaction strikes come from

Don

So, Gentlemen, Do I retrieve them at a fast wobble? this only sink a foot or so. Or do I slow it down and slowly wobble it ? in which case it floats like a Rapala.

Or do I mix it up?

It is the big KVD jobber...whatever that is.

I'm completely new to this type of lure.

Last edited:

pabassman

So, Gentlemen, Do I retrieve them at a fast wobble? this only sink a foot or so. Or do I slow it down and slowly wobble it ? in which case it floats like a Rapala.

Or do I mix it up?

It is the big KVD jobber...whatever that is.

I'm completely new to this type of lure.
Its a crankbait.... cast it out, crank it back! Watch a KVD video on it

Don

Roger that. Thinking Upper Woods, Merrill Creek Res., Round Valley. All Trout Lakes. Then when it cools and the weeds drop out a bit......

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I went through a cranking phase a few years ago and it’s just not a style I like so they sit in a box on the garage shelf.

I do have an Ott and Rebel Craw I will throw at times on my boat because they have proved to work for me but the others never did.

Don

I'm afraid of just that...That I'll make purchases and find it not what I thought.

When I was a kid, each summer I threw 3" Rapala (the only one I had), I pond and creek fished in those days and the rapala was easy. These days, in open weedy water there are better choices. I loved the Nockamixon Creek before they built the lake but my favorite area was the pool created by Stovers Mill Dam (now posted).

Then I put the rapala away and have never touched it since (though I have a nice collection).

pabassman

I went through a cranking phase a few years ago and it’s just not a style I like so they sit in a box on the garage shelf.

I do have an Ott and Rebel Craw I will throw at times on my boat because they have proved to work for me but the others never did.
They are more a fall bait for me. When the water dips into the mid 50s. We have done really well some nights on cranks. Nights when they're not weed oriented but on rocks cranks will outproduce about anything. The Rebel Craw was always an awesome bait in the Susky.

A-5

I’m with you. I’d rather watch Kamala Harris speak than throw a cranky bill