Two Knots

Don

There are two knots I like because I'm Lazy:
1) Triple Surgeon
This is what I join two different lines with. Fast easy and effective. I've never had one come undone
2) I just started tying the A-Fiver...otherwise known as the Trilene Knot.
I like it because it's almost as fast as the Improved Clinch but when done the tag end is pointing down away from the retrieve. It also cinches down a hair easier than the IC.

Would love to hear of your scout knots as well. What do you use in special scenarios?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Geez, I have issues. As I am typing what I use, it’s a list For sure………

Palomar finished with a half hitch to keep the tag end from snagging weeds. (Football Jigs, Chatterbaits, Spinbaits)
Uni-Knot for baits that have too small of an eye that I cannot pass the line back through. (Ned Rig)
Loop-Knot for swimbaits so that the jig can sit horizontally. (Swim or Jerk Baits)
Dropper Loop (High / Low Rig Fluke Fishing)
Snell Knot for hooks that can be snelled. (ie, all of them!) :)
FG Knot (Braid to Floro - if prepping the night before)
Alberto Knot (Braid to Floro - on the water)
Surgeons Knot (Mono to Floro)

Melvinp

If I only had 2 choices #1 would be the palomar #2 would be some sort of loop knot not sure on which one yet.

HenryDavid

Simple and quick but not the best nail knot is the way to go but not easy to tie stream side. I use the orvise knot pretty much every time I go out but it is by far the weak link in my leaders
Double surgeons knot for joining lines, Orvis knot to fly only. I've had no problems with it. Some big browns will attest to it ;)

Melvinp

Double surgeons knot for joining lines, Orvis knot to fly only. I've had no problems with it. Some big browns will attest to it ;)
Biggest problem is diameter drop between the lines I have a tendency to not bring a better line size assortment I guess or maybe you need to get snagged on the bottom more lmbo

Don

Geez, I have issues. As I am typing what I use, it’s a list For sure………

Palomar finished with a half hitch to keep the tag end from snagging weeds. (Football Jigs, Chatterbaits, Spinbaits)
Uni-Knot for baits that have too small of an eye that I cannot pass the line back through. (Ned Rig)
Loop-Knot for swimbaits so that the jig can sit horizontally. (Swim or Jerk Baits)
Dropper Loop (High / Low Rig Fluke Fishing)
Snell Knot for hooks that can be snelled. (ie, all of them!) :)
FG Knot (Braid to Floro - if prepping the night before)
Alberto Knot (Braid to Floro - on the water)
Surgeons Knot (Mono to Floro)
Geek! I feel vindicated!

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Geek! I feel vindicated!
lol. I am a student of the game but I think you’re a lot like me Don.

You try to remove every facet of fishing until you’re 100% confident that it is only you against the fish.

Boat / bank, doesn’t matter, equipment, doesn’t matter, bait, doesn’t matter. Just you and the personal battle with that fish.

Understanding and arriving at that spot where it is only you and the fish, priceless! and why we play the game.

Reactions: Don

Don

lol. I am a student of the game but I think you’re a lot like me Don.

You try to remove every facet of fishing until you’re 100% confident that it is only you against the fish.

Boat / bank, doesn’t matter, equipment, doesn’t matter, bait, doesn’t matter. Just you and the personal battle with that fish.

Understanding and arriving at that spot where it is only you and the fish, priceless! and why we play the game.
Yes but in addition my Belly likes to fish. My Belly against the fish, ha!

Here is a hoot proving how much I have to learn: I joined a Facebook group called pike fishing. I didn't bother to read the rules because I figured it was about the same for every fishing site. I didn't realize that they were anti-BOGA and also the group is a catch and release only group. In their rules they said no mistreatment of fish including laying them down in the bank or holding them in a careless manner. I didn't read these rules. So for my first post I said what is the best keeping size for the table and what is the best leader size? Then I posted a picture of my monster Pickrell last week just sitting on a bench in my boat. Well the admin folks dropped me like a fly. But the best thing I learned is how damaging BOGA'S are to the Pike family. Apparently they are very damaging as they remove the membrane from the jaws of the fish and the fish diminishes from there. Also there's a certain amount of damage that comes from holding a pike straight up and down especially in warmer weather where they're already suffering and the internal structure of the fish. So I learned something and got booted off in the same day, yippee!

Solitario Lupo

Don all catch and release fish should be hold right with their belly supported. Never use boga grips. I’ve used it and really tore a fishes mouth open with them and probably only going to use them again if I have to. Should have a net as your not dragging them around and also is a great live well for keeping them in the water.

Don

Don all catch and release fish should be hold right with their belly supported. Never use boga grips. I’ve used it and really tore a fishes mouth open with them and probably only going to use them again if I have to. Should have a net as your not dragging them around and also is a great live well for keeping them in the water.
Oh no Sol, Nets should be outlawed for Pike says this site.

Solitario Lupo

If it’s the right net shouldn’t hurt the fish. But I’m sure those gloves on that site is alright. Worse thing ever is to grab a fish with gloves.

Don

Yeah. Removes all the Mucus. Then they die of Covid...
They seemed like hypocrites. The whole site was about using sharp pointy and penetrating objects to Catch and hurt fish. Well I will comply to a certain level but not always C&R. Magnificent fish.

truecrimson

Back in the old days when fish grips came out everyone said only use boga for pike/muskie/pickerel as the fish grips would supposedly break their jaw.

Reminds of paper to plastic and now back to paper....