Weeds, Heavy Fish, Line

Don

Anyone Fish heavy weed cover for heavy fish, say 5/+lbs? What would be the minimum test for mono if I were in need of jerking 3-8lb fish hard enough to make it out of weeds and into my boat?
My cousin wants nothing more but to catch Snakeheads and I'm wondering if its possible to enjoy catching those weed loving vermin.

pabassman

Anyone Fish heavy weed cover for heavy fish, say 5/+lbs? What would be the minimum test for mono if I were in need of jerking 3-8lb fish hard enough to make it out of weeds and into my boat?
My cousin wants nothing more but to catch Snakeheads and I'm wondering if its possible to enjoy catching those weed loving vermin.
50-65 pound braid. 14-20 pound mono/floro

Melvinp

Med to medium heavy I would say line wise bassmans on the money at least for little fish lmbo

Don

He is usually right but like to just test him a bit...keeps him "Cutting Edge".

HenryDavid

I have the Rod. You're saying 15lb Mono, no tapered leader, Just a tippet of 3-5'? (they're not line shy).
The shorter the better, nothing wrong with a level leader, if you have 8wt line you will turnover the bigger flies.

HenryDavid

7/8 should be good. Taper would be determined by what you intend to throw. Here's my 8wt taper I use on the Susquehanna.
I'm casting a lot of top water stuff.
Scientific Anglers Frequency Magnum 8wt fly line.jpg

Don

I'd like to throw medium to heavy streamers for Bass and Pickerel so wouldn't that require strong weight forward like you show?

Don

Just put a Baitcaster back online for snakehead. Got rid of the 30lb braid and replaced it with 20lb Sufix Elite. It has a good feel and pays out nicely though they recommend it for 12lb this 20 seems to be nice. My test weight was a 1/3oz sinker and I think my lures will weigh in btwn 1/4 and 1/2. The retrieve speed (7.2:1) will be nice to take up slack. Its on a stiff rod of some 7' and together with the level winch-like spool it will be nice to clear the fish from pads. I wanted to "Best" MelvinP at something so I figured this would do it.