Circle hook

Solitario Lupo

So what's a circle hook. Just used a circle hook to catch that cat. It just had plain circle on package. I've been using the circle octopus hooks and had them get swallowed. So was it size of the hook or is there a difference. Looks like the hook is bent more at the tip.

Melvinp

I’ve really only have had a few cats actually swallow my circle hooks most hook ups are in the corners of their mouths but I’m not normally fishing for monsters probably 5-7 pounds I’m probably in the 1/0 range

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
We use 8/0 and 9/0 circle hooks hooks when we fish for striper with bait. The idea is that you pull the hook out of the throat or deeper area and the point rotates to hook in the mouth. There is no “setting” of the hook, it sets itself. You just reel, no jerk.

Sounds like you may be using too small of a hook. If I were catfishing for say flatheads, I would be using 5/0 or larger.

I just started using them this year for carp and cats. Started with 3/0 but moved down to 1/0. Haven’t had any swallowing of them. Have used circles in Ocean City for flounder for years and they always hook the corner of mouth.

Solitario Lupo

We use 8/0 and 9/0 circle hooks hooks when we fish for striper with bait. The idea is that you pull the hook out of the throat or deeper area and the point rotates to hook in the mouth. There is no “setting” of the hook, it sets itself. You just reel, no jerk.

Sounds like you may be using too small of a hook. If I were catfishing for say flatheads, I would be using 5/0 or larger.
I usually just reel so it seems like it doesn’t set the hook if they are sluggish and no runs in them. Plus I use those automatic hook setters that has a slow pull.

How small? The small egg hooks get swallowed easily. Trout usually swallow upon hitting a bait but cats and carp seem to keep it in their mouth.

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

For trout I’ve used them from 12 to 6. Now I’ll tie flies on them and they seem to do good but not for bait just sitting there. I’m thinking octopus circles are not true circle hooks. Also tie flies on the bigger 8/0 octopus hooks for Muskie and they seem to work great too so I’m always wondering now if the size of hooks do matter. Not for mainly catching fish but for the issue of getting swallowed or not.

Reactions: Don

Don

For trout I’ve used them from 12 to 6. Now I’ll tie flies on them and they seem to do good but not for bait just sitting there. I’m thinking octopus circles are not true circle hooks. Also tie flies on the bigger 8/0 octopus hooks for Muskie and they seem to work great too so I’m always wondering now if the size of hooks do matter. Not for mainly catching fish but for the issue of getting swallowed or not.
I don't have enough information or experience to judge whether octopus circle hooks or any better or worse than truth circle hooks. I do know that my favorite size for bluegill heads is 3/0. The size catfish I'm catching range between 2-9lbs. I've never seen them swallow these hooks. Now it could be because the bluegill head is so big. When you use man-made bait it might not be as big.