Toothy Critters/Slumming Warm Waters

Gremcat

New lows,,,,too hot for trout near the house except maybe a few mountain streams off the grid.

I’m itching to fish and kids want a different adventure. Just got to Leaser to look about. Might be a non-starter with all the people. Still musky in here C+R or am I better served looking elsewhere? Thought about Nock pier for catfish but it’s a longer haul.

Reactions: Don

Gremcat

Musky in leisure huuuge musky
That’s what I hear. Looks like it’s perfect for them. Any tips on line size, bite leader, etc? I’m a live bait person so I’m guessing toss a 5-8” fish out in the right spot using a float designed for salt would turn something up.

Gremcat

Have kayaks stored right down the street at lizard creek too. Looks like kayaks might get me into better pockets. They are sit in style I think so not fishy really but maybe one was sit in style. Mom has a camp on lizard and I haul her kayaks but can’t recall what they were. Think I still have two in lower garage right now. Not a bad ride from here either.

Don

Put in at Walnutport and float past the upper pond above the upper Canal entrance...huge Snappers there as well. I saw oodles of Muttskies over the years paddling from there to Egypt. They were Tigers.

Solitario Lupo

That’s what I hear. Looks like it’s perfect for them. Any tips on line size, bite leader, etc? I’m a live bait person so I’m guessing toss a 5-8” fish out in the right spot using a float designed for salt would turn something up.
Whatever the heaviest line and rod you got. Then put a Fluoro leader on it anywhere from 80lb to 100lb. 8”trout would be nice or bigger. Live bait that range works.

Getting pretty hot for Muskie also. Probably hiding around cooler areas.

Gremcat

Whatever the heaviest line and rod you got. Then put a Fluoro leader on it anywhere from 80lb to 100lb. 8”trout would be nice or bigger. Live bait that range works.

Getting pretty hot for Muskie also. Probably hiding around cooler areas.
Have 600 yards of 100 lbs braid on a 10k size reel with a heavy travel tarpon/shark rod…too big?!?

In seriousness I was just going to use my salmon rod which is a 4-5k Okuma I think. I’ve flouro from 50-100 lbs for leader.

Run the bait on top of water or deeper?

Gremcat

Put in at Walnutport and float past the upper pond above the upper Canal entrance...huge Snappers there as well. I saw oodles of Muttskies over the years paddling from there to Egypt. They were Tigers.
Thanks Don, I thought the closest side was New Tripoli but I had kids in tow so we only checked out the access on outahalee rd and the fishing dock/dam area.

Reactions: Don

Solitario Lupo

Have 600 yards of 100 lbs braid on a 10k size reel with a heavy travel tarpon/shark rod…too big?!?

In seriousness I was just going to use my salmon rod which is a 4-5k Okuma I think. I’ve flouro from 50-100 lbs for leader.

Run the bait on top of water or deeper?
No I think it would work 😉 Salmon rod should be fine just run a leader. If in shallow waters I would float it, in deeper just sink it.

Don

Don’t forget that there are large holdover walleye and also giant Channels right there in Mauch Chunk.

Gremcat

Don’t forget that there are large holdover walleye and also giant Channels right there in Mauch Chunk.
Whah? I thought they only had those bite size fish in there we caught! When did walleye get into MC lake? Channels too? I’m embarrassed if so, right in my own backyard.

Gremcat

Beltzville but I ain’t dealing with all that. Maybe in fall on the upper channel on the access roads as the Striper come through. I hear Bville is nuts right now.

Don

Personally I wouldn’t go to beltzville now either. They stocked walleye for years and then stopped at MC. So what is left is large and infrequent. You’re a minnow guy so it may be a fix for you. As would giant channels be. Check in the park office where they have photos posted. Furthermore the park ranger , Bernie or Burt (or something similar) is also an advance Schroomer. He always seems to have bags of mushrooms in his truck.

Gremcat

Personally I wouldn’t go to beltzville now either. They stocked walleye for years and then stopped at MC. So what is left is large and infrequent. You’re a minnow guy so it may be a fix for you. As would giant channels be. Check in the park office where they have photos posted. Furthermore the park ranger , Bernie or Burt (or something similar) is also an advance Schroomer. He always seems to have bags of mushrooms in his truck.
Seems to be a thing here. I found edible variety 1x ever. Neighbors collect garbage bags full and beat me to them. I don’t mind a few varieties, none psychobillin or whatever those types are the Aquarians prefer.

Gremcat

Next question, how the heck do you put a knot in an 80lbs mono leader!?!. I used some suffix wind on leader premade for tarpons/sharks but the lure/hook end knots look like they’d untie themselves. A-5 has me on Palomar knots but I tried a few others too. Used a loop to loop to connect to 12 lbs main line. Need to get a baitcaster to replace the one that came damaged. Spinning reels and heavy mono aren’t really friendly with each other. Shark reel is cartoonishly large or I’d use that one. Worst case, I’ve 50 lbs Seaguar flouro leader. It’s at least light enough I can tie it.

Don

Seems to be a thing here. I found edible variety 1x ever. Neighbors collect garbage bags full and beat me to them. I don’t mind a few varieties, none psychobillin or whatever those types are the Aquarians prefer.
Send them to TC. I've seen bags of them in the Rangers truck cabin.

Don

Next question, how the heck do you put a knot in an 80lbs mono leader!?!. I used some suffix wind on leader premade for tarpons/sharks but the lure/hook end knots look like they’d untie themselves. A-5 has me on Palomar knots but I tried a few others too. Used a loop to loop to connect to 12 lbs main line. Need to get a baitcaster to replace the one that came damaged. Spinning reels and heavy mono aren’t really friendly with each other. Shark reel is cartoonishly large or I’d use that one. Worst case, I’ve 50 lbs Seaguar flouro leader. It’s at least light enough I can tie it.
I know everything about knot tying, Haahahaha, but I'd certainly try the standard fisherman snell.