Toothy Critters/Slumming Warm Waters

Gremcat

Personally I wouldn’t go to beltzville now either. They stocked walleye for years and then stopped at MC. So what is left is large and infrequent. You’re a minnow guy so it may be a fix for you. As would giant channels be. Check in the park office where they have photos posted. Furthermore the park ranger , Bernie or Burt (or something similar) is also an advance Schroomer. He always seems to have bags of mushrooms in his truck.
I’ve been hitting it at night, often with kids. My youngest has been catching the bait on a handline at the fishing dock😆 He gets about 20 a trip.

First time was a rope he shoved a random hook through. At the end of the night he was telling himself he was dumb and it would never work.

Made my year, he caught a tiny baby bass at last light. The vision of his victory dance, his excitement, and his scolding us how he had told us but we didn’t believe him is forever burnt into my brain! He was less excited when he caught a 10.5 lbs rainbow this year.

I made him a real handline from a kite spool I got in Poughkeepsie. It says gator reel so maybe it’s designed for hand lining. I need to put some sticky cork on it or punch some holes because he seems to unravel too much and also needs a way to store his hook. Will post in the lure/rod section though about that.

Don

I’ve been hitting it at night, often with kids. My youngest has been catching the bait on a handline at the fishing dock😆 He gets about 20 a trip.

First time was a rope he shoved a random hook through. At the end of the night he was telling himself he was dumb and it would never work.

Made my year, he caught a tiny baby bass at last light. The vision of his victory dance, his excitement, and his scolding us how he had told us but we didn’t believe him is forever burnt into my brain! He was less excited when he caught a 10.5 lbs rainbow this year.

I made him a real handline from a kite spool I got in Poughkeepsie. It says gator reel so maybe it’s designed for hand lining. I need to put some sticky cork on it or punch some holes because he seems to unravel too much and also needs a way to store his hook. Will post in the lure/rod section though about that.
That's a great story and I hope his interest continues. A little Johnson reel on a 2' rod would also work.