[Archived] What did you Catch Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don

That is good info….I think. I’m gonna lookimup. I could be wrong but it seems that blades, spinners, beetle spins and spoons don’t work so well in two scenarios. One- clear water. If they can see it clearly they aren’t fooled.
Two-if it’s past stocking day by more than a couple weeks they simply have “seen it all” and aren’t interested.
It seems colored water is best and current or weeds also helps.
Any thoughts on this?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
There’s a guy named Frank Nale in PA that makes spinners cheaper than I can get components for. They are the stacked silver or gold bead style with the last bead being White, red, blue, etc. He goes by Trout Traveler I think on other forums. I’m pretty sure TS knew him. He keeps a running tally of fish each year, all wild spawn. He sells me spinners by the dozen and the first time told me 99% of his catches are just the white bead. It’s the flash they hit. He makes colored beads for people who camp in one area and cast to the same trout. I don’t spinner fish but my brother has done really well with those.

I tried the rapala F-7 I think it’s called. Maybe the super bean or whatever the short, fat lipped minnow is but never caught on them myself.
Those spinners are from Frank, not Trout Traveler.

Trout Traveler’s first name is Andy. I have fished with him many times. He does not sell spinners. Andy does fish with Frank’s brother Mark here and there. Frank and Mark, more so Mark have written many articles about trout fishing and the outdoors in Pa publications.

Coincidentally, if you know those two names, you probably know Trout2003, also known as Zak who I just fished with today. I’ve been friends with Zak a LONG time and he taught me almost everything I know about spinfishing for trout. He is hands down a master of trout spinfishing and the best you will ever see at that craft. They all belong to the huntingpa site and you can read their yearly reports there. I have a history with Frank, I’ll leave that there but that guy has pissed off hundreds if not thousands of people across FB, HPA and FFPA. The posts on those sites are well documented. ;)

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Forgot to add. Zak uses one color of spinner, Brass (what others call gold). No added colored bead. He will change to a white/pink blade when the water is muddy but that is for him to see it easier. He and I agree, when it comes to trout, color does not matter!

Reactions: Don

HenryDavid

Those spinners are from Frank, not Trout Traveler.

Trout Traveler’s first name is Andy. I have fished with him many times. He does not sell spinners. Andy does fish with Frank’s brother Mark here and there. Frank and Mark, more so Mark have written many articles about trout fishing and the outdoors in Pa publications.

Coincidentally, if you know those two names, you probably know Trout2003, also known as Zak who I just fished with today. I’ve been friends with Zak a LONG time and he taught me almost everything I know about spinfishing for trout. He is hands down a master of trout spinfishing and the best you will ever see at that craft. They all belong to the huntingpa site and you can read their yearly reports there. I have a history with Frank, I’ll leave that there but that guy has pissed off hundreds if not thousands of people across FB, HPA and FFPA. The posts on those sites are well documented. ;)
I Just took a look back at the HuntingPA forum, I was a member on there 10 years ago. It seems they banned everybody, lmao

Reactions: Don

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I Just took a look back at the HuntingPA forum, I was a member on there 10 years ago. It seems they banned everybody, lmao
They were sold and the new owners changed a little. Better software for sure. I don’t think they are too strict though so that’s good.

Don

I’m. Confused. U mean just brass? No paint? They catch bass, trout, pickerel and panfish on just gold? As a kid, pre-nock, in deep run and Tohicon creeks I only owned threw gold and it always seemed to get the bigger panfish. In Gouldsboro I get the bigger panfish and pickerel. Seems too easy to talk about. Only ever caught two trout on spinner.

Don

I just don’t seem to do well with spinners at all, beetlespins included, if the water is still and clear.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I’m. Confused. U mean just brass? No paint? They catch bass, trout, pickerel and panfish on just gold? As a kid, pre-nock, in deep run and Tohicon creeks I only owned threw gold and it always seemed to get the bigger panfish. In Gouldsboro I get the bigger panfish and pickerel. Seems too easy to talk about. Only ever caught two trout on spinner.
When it comes to trout for color, brass, other species, I cannot comment on. Sounds like you need to go trout fishing with me as well one day Don.

Don

Troutspinner, you and DonM are also trout whisperers but
DonM only uses Trout Magnets....another lure that I catch nothing on pretty consistently. Least ways I'm consistent. I really like inline spinners and would like figure out what the difference is. I was on the Walnutport canal on Thursday and was casting right through several hundred fish, all visible, They would skitter away from all my offerings, especially crawlers, but also all spinners, spoons, jerk baits and Crankbaits. Changed my lures probably thirty times make 4-5 casts and change again...nothing. I hate trout. Trout are like cats. You cant herd them. Can be tasty if their young....just like cats...
I use spinners for Panfish and Pickerel. Certain times of the year they work pretty well. All year for pickerel if the the water is stained and mid summer for panfish in and out of the weedlines. In lakes I find that when shore fishing spinners work poorly from shore but better from boats fishing along or towards the shoreline.
Years ago I used gold spinners in The Little Lehigh near the hatchery. Mid Winter Id drag them through the riffles. Summertime nothing..
I enjoy trying.
Trout,
just like cats!

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
DonM only uses Trout Magnets....another lure that I catch nothing on pretty consistently. Least ways I'm consistent. I really like inline spinners and would like figure out what the difference is. I was on the Walnutport canal on Thursday and was casting right through several hundred fish, all visible, They would skitter away from all my offerings, especially crawlers, but also all spinners, spoons, jerk baits and Crankbaits. Changed my lures probably thirty times make 4-5 casts and change again...nothing. I hate trout. Trout are like cats. You cant herd them. Can be tasty if their young....just like cats...
I use spinners for Panfish and Pickerel. Certain times of the year they work pretty well. All year for pickerel if the the water is stained and mid summer for panfish in and out of the weedlines. In lakes I find that when shore fishing spinners work poorly from shore but better from boats fishing along or towards the shoreline.
Years ago I used gold spinners in The Little Lehigh near the hatchery. Mid Winter Id drag them through the riffles. Summertime nothing..
I enjoy trying.
Trout,
just like cats!
That is just pressure when you see that many and won’t bite. They’ve had everything under the sun thrown at them and are skittish. Be the first there in the morning and you’ll get a few. Be the first there after a rain event and you’ll catch even more. Be the first there after no one has fished them for 2 weeks (doubtful haha) you’ll catch all of em.

Solitario Lupo

I enjoy trying.
Trout,
just like cats!
That’s why I like flies for trout. If nothing big works something smaller will. I’ve also learned to get picky trout a tandem rig or dropper works great. Especially in clear low waters.
It’s all about the cast and placement of the fly with a good drift that gets them picky ones. As I mess with them goldens and can take a couple hrs to finally get one.

Your big lures like spinners I see people walk in my holes I’ve been fishing to only cast right on top of them and spook them. Either cast down stream and come up into the fish or cast across to the other bank and come straight across the pod of fish. Believe me those fish see it.

truecrimson

I enjoy trying.
Trout,
just like cats!

truecrimson

That’s why I like flies for trout. If nothing big works something smaller will. I’ve also learned to get picky trout a tandem rig or dropper works great. Especially in clear low waters.
It’s all about the cast and placement of the fly with a good drift that gets them picky ones. As I mess with them goldens and can take a couple hrs to finally get one.

Your big lures like spinners I see people walk in my holes I’ve been fishing to only cast right on top of them and spook them. Either cast down stream and come up into the fish or cast across to the other bank and come straight across the pod of fish. Believe me those fish see it.
This ^ this right there ^

I was going to say that but Sol already did.

Status
Not open for further replies.