[Archived] What did you Catch Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gremcat

Sweetest, and only niece’s first trout, 65 degree temps didn’t help, but we kept floaters,

Attachments

• 1F821AEE-6F9C-40C0-962B-B5F683C4F647.jpeg
    1F821AEE-6F9C-40C0-962B-B5F683C4F647.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 57BFF13E-D226-4F06-B300-813C411A1484.jpeg
    57BFF13E-D226-4F06-B300-813C411A1484.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

Don

Okay PABasser, I can't take it anymore. A-5 says its not about the method but its about the tug. We'll see. I'm in a rowboat. I don't want to be a recipient of Fetch. Which ramp should I use? I've only ever used the northern ramp.....is there a better choice? I have a couple rods/reels with 10lb on them. Should I use a bite tippet of some sort?

HenryDavid

I was at a show in Atlantic City. My Hotel room was on the Bay and on the 5th floor. I was looking almost straight down into 1-2' of water when I saw a large striper hit some bailfish. You're right, it was violent. Splashed all over.
I was fishing for trout a few years ago in the Lackawaxen River down near the confluence with the Delaware. Something huge made a slow follow on my wully bugger, talk was all about the stripers being around. This thing followed the bugger right up to me but wouldn't take it, I stepped out of the water, lol.

A-5

Caught crappies on a jig and piece of a worm last week. And meal worms and minnows are a year around staple

Don

Look at that.....Henry David thinks he's tasty to Stripers. Down here in Easton, two weeks back, they were saying that the stripers were so heavy in Easton under the bridges that they were almost jumping into boats. Sounds like A-5 talk to me but it does indicate that the schools are especially big this year.
A-5 I used to keep them from mid-fall though June. Mike Bait and Tackle in Nazareth carries the big tubs of 1000 for about $10. They see to keep forever. Perch, Crappie, Gills. That was back when I lived on the Dark Side.

Don

"Okay PABasser, I can't take it anymore. A-5 says its not about the method but its about the tug. We'll see. I'm in a rowboat. I don't want to be a recipient of Fetch. Which ramp should I use? I've only ever used the northern ramp.....is there a better choice? I have a couple rods/reels with 10lb on them. Should I use a bite tippet of some sort??"

I'm Waiting!

Emoji Tap Finger GIF - Emoji TapFinger GIFs

MB3

Almost didn't go today looking at T storms. First kayak trip of the year and I learned 2 things. Shahola was lit and so is my back. 12 Bass, 2 Crappie both similar size and 25-30 Pickerel but nothing amazing, maybe to 19" and a few fat ones. Missed a bunch including a few big bass blow ups. They were ready to chew today.

As much as I love the kayak it kills my back. There's a part of me that wants to sell and roll it over into an electric only boat or sell all of it and go after a Sea Ark if the payments aren't crazy.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210604_090943.jpg
    MVIMG_20210604_090943.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 5
  • MVIMG_20210604_071400.jpg
    MVIMG_20210604_071400.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 5
  • MVIMG_20210604_085523.jpg
    MVIMG_20210604_085523.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

Don

Almost didn't go today looking at T storms. First kayak trip of the year and I learned 2 things. Shahola was lit and so is my back. 12 Bass, 2 Crappie both similar size and 25-30 Pickerel but nothing amazing, maybe to 19" and a few fat ones. Missed a bunch including a few big bass blow ups. They were ready to chew today.

As much as I love the kayak it kills my back. There's a part of me that wants to sell and roll it over into an electric only boat or sell all of it and go after a Sea Ark if the payments aren't crazy.
A guy right down the street is a Sea Ark Dealer. Pasch Marine.

Reactions: MB3

pabassman

"Okay PABasser, I can't take it anymore. A-5 says its not about the method but its about the tug. We'll see. I'm in a rowboat. I don't want to be a recipient of Fetch. Which ramp should I use? I've only ever used the northern ramp.....is there a better choice? I have a couple rods/reels with 10lb on them. Should I use a bite tippet of some sort??"

I'm Waiting!

I'm Waiting!

Are you going at night? If you are and in a row boat launch at the state ramp. Its right by the dam and is several hundred yards inside the no wake zone. The lake is high so shore fisherman will be mainly around the launch. Work you way back into that cove. The fingerling trout are still around that area so there will be plenty of fish. No need for bite tippet. If you are planning a day trip....dont.

Don

I'm going at night. Why not day? will they not bite in deeper water? I was thinking where you stated or immediately to the right of the Dam. Or both. I'll take the largest Minnows I can find and also taking the fly rod with minnow flys. Is my Truck safe parked there at night? I'll let ya know if I catch anything. I was thinking of going just after supper and hitting gills and perch and then staying until 1 or 2 am. I have lights but no depth sounder or fish finder so I guess I'll poke around the edges.

Don

I think I'll take the FIVER for this trip so I can stretch out from 8-10 pm. This has a light electric motor . it can hold its own but not so much in heavy fetch or a crosswind. it sits pleasantly low on the water. if you have a bait shop in mind near there let me know.

Last edited:

Don

I found a surf rod in the basement from a few years ago. Large reel, heavy rod, looks like either 30 or 50lb test and lots of it. Would I be wise to take that? We used it for Bluefish and attempted to catch Cobia one year in Corola, NC. My other rods are a standard weight 6'/10lb LMB spinning rod and my fly reel, a Medalist 1495 on a 5wt rod, has 12 lb leaders/tippet and 20 backing and line. Am I supposed to use circle hooks for bait?

pabassman

Stripers can be caught during the day. They just move deep. Drifting alewives and trout gets plenty of them. You can fish that way inside the no wake area. That is really as good as anywhere. Deepest water is around there. Daytime is insane there. I have a 19' bassboat and I get concerned at times. Its over run with idiots. Its early June and I've already seen two boats try to run thru the flooded bushes on Kipp island. Plain to see and clearly marked with buoys. I wont go there in the day til October. I would work the shoreline in the cove. Its a good spot and safe. You will hear them busting bait.

Don

I have 6/0. Too big? I’m working within any parameters you set as I’m trying to succeed.
I have been to that ramp way to many times and had sort of sworn never again. Then you mentioned night fishing. Shame more Americans aren’t competent.
after all it’s abou the tug. Not the time of day.
what about bait? Do you have any solutions for what and when. I also have some papa type lures that were excellent for blues and perhaps they would work here as well.

pabassman

6/0 !!!!! shark hooks??? Probably a bit heavy handed there lol. The launch can be a zoo. Another reason I avoid daytime. If you can find large shiners that would be best. Wallenpaupack Sport Shop sells trout but they will likely be closed. I sure most 4 to 5" topwaters will work. I only throw a spook. Self control. Dont set the hook on sound. That can be hazardous. If a striper takes it you will know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.