Baitcasting For Dummies, Continuing saga

Don

It's been 6 years since I began fishing again after many years of abstaining. Amazing. Amazing what I've learned in that period. Its not fair to most of you for you never learned that quickly, thanks for guiding me. I Like all forms of rod and reel combo's and styles except centerpin. Doubt I'll ever try that due to not being able to stand for long, especially in water. I am so impressed with how effective Baitcasting can be. I got sick or the snarls and put my bait casters away fall of 22. Recently I got one out to be used for snakehead fishing.

The one model I have (2 of them) is the famous budget reel by Last King Called the Royal Legend II. They're very nice and come in 7.1:1 ratio. I had been using 30lb braid on one and 12 lb big game on the other. The one with braid became unusable very quickly and I realized I couldn't afford to keep putting new spools of braid onto it so I stored that one first. Then I kept using the one with the 12 pound on it until the end of 2022. During that time I came to realize a few things about bait testing for the beginner. One it seemed for me that I could skip with a bait caster better than I could cast it out right. Two I could cast with it at night for stripers on the knock. It seems if I don't look at it. I don't screw it up as fast.
Recently, I got one out and put it on a nice stiff rod. I spooled up with 20 pound sufix elite line and started practicing with a 1/3 ounce weight. I don't understand it, as long as I cast sideways or side arm, it seems like all goes well, but the minute I use an overhead cast it's snarls up badly. There must be something about timing with my thumb that I need to work on. But anyway, as long as I cast sideways, I'm fine. Since I like to skip under bushes, the side casting does suit my needs nicely.

I did notice that when I cast, because the line is so large, and the spool is so small, that with each cast close to half the line goes off the spool. This is kind of handy because it lets me get the spool all flattened out again and make up for any boo-boos I made with previous casts.

I have a swimming pool that is 29 x 14 and it's just about perfect for practicing underhand casting and side casting. Today I put a number 6/0 hook onto a 10 inch fat worm. It was quite a bit heavier than 1/3 of an ounce and I had to readjust the tension knob. It went swimmingly. It peeled out nicely and landed basically where I was aiming for. I had no idea that heavier lures would make such a difference in my ability to control this bait caster and to avoid birds nests. I'm pretty jazzed to go try this on my vacation in Maine next week. The lakes I'll be fishing are full of smallmouth and large picklerel, with a few landlocked salmon thrown in for variety. I'll be taking a variety of rods and reels. I'll use Spincast for trolling and medium casting. I'll be using a nice restored spinning reel for lightweight casting of small beetle spins and in-line spinners. And I'll use the baitcaster for large presentations that weigh allot such as these big worms and also large texas rigged Kieteck minnows.

Attachments

• IMG_9544.JPG
    IMG_9544.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 5

Solitario Lupo

When casting overhead with it you want the bait to stop and fall in the air. If you just throw your bait at the water and slap it your line will still want to go out.

Don

When casting overhead with it you want the bait to stop and fall in the air. If you just throw your bait at the water and slap it your line will still want to go out.
Do you mean I stop it in air with thumb and let it settle onto the water like fly casting almost?

Don

Do you mean I stop it in air with thumb and let it settle onto the water like fly casting almost?
Oh my gosh Sol...that was it. My driveway is where I do most of my casting for practice. Ask A-five and he'll tell you I have a very very steep driveway. It's a 26% slope. So when I cast I have to handicap myself for the reason of that slope being so steep. I'm always casting uphill.

Thinking about what you said about stopping it in air made sense and so I went outside right away and it worked. Then I went uphill and casted down the slope and was able to cast the 10" worm 75' time after time with no backlashes. I'll keep practicing but with some different, more realistic, baits.

The target next week is Smallies and Brownies/LLSalmon. I'll be tossing white 4" Kieteck pegged 3/8oz Texas style into 20-100' of water and along banks hoping to get it down 8-10'. They said on a channel that the clarity is over 60'. So not sure if I'll need or use a spinnerbait.

Solitario Lupo

You can stop it with your thumb. As I always leave my thumb on the line so if I think it’s a bad cast I can stop it. It’s more of a toss up then let it stop and fall in the air. No b line drive straight to water. Think like throwing a ball a toss is easier up in the air and a pitch is straight forward.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
I have learned that pairing the reel line weight with the rod line weight is very important. You need the rod to load correctly and the reel will behave much better. Line diameter is important too, stay within the reel line diameter specifications and overruns don’t happen as often.

Don

You can stop it with your thumb. As I always leave my thumb on the line so if I think it’s a bad cast I can stop it. It’s more of a toss up then let it stop and fall in the air. No b line drive straight to water. Think like throwing a ball a toss is easier up in the air and a pitch is straight forward.
It worked great. So now, since I posted this at 10:59 I have gained three new combos. For now its a Royal Legend 20lb, Royal legend 12lb and, a reel I could never get to cast without immense issues, Abu BlackMax3. Thanks to Michael introducing me to Siege. I put 14lb onto it and it casts a zoom paddletail on a 1/4oz jig (just for Practice). That's three new flexible combo's. I can learn 8lb another yr. For this year I'm keeping it heavier. IMG_9547.JPG

Don

I have learned that pairing the reel line weight with the rod line weight is very important. You need the rod to load correctly and the reel will behave much better. Line diameter is important too, stay within the reel line diameter specifications and overruns don’t happen as often.
Bingo! Another truth I learned today. I was using Crane booms before. My 20lb is on a 7' Med/Heavy. The 12lb is on a 6.6 medium. The Abu with the 14 is on a 6'6" Medium/medium. Would rather that they were all 7' or 7'2+/-. But they will come as the budget improves...I see higher quality combo's in the future...purpose bought for the tasks expected. I've had such fun with these spincast reels I collect so maybe there is room for Baitcasters as well.
Solitario, you're such a Matt Allen, lol.

Solitario Lupo

It worked great. So now, since I posted this at 10:59 I have gained three new combos. For now its a Royal Legend 20lb, Royal legend 12lb and, a reel I could never get to cast without immense issues, Abu BlackMax3. Thanks to Michael introducing me to Siege. I put 14lb onto it and it casts a zoom paddletail on a 1/4oz jig (just for Practice). That's three new flexible combo's. I can learn 8lb another yr. For this year I'm keeping it heavier. View attachment 6254
Sometimes you can’t help stop the bug. :ROFLMAO:

Don

Now to back up what Troutspinster was saying... "pairing the reel line weight with the rod line weight is very important"...I took the Royal Legend with the 12 lb line out for a spin again this morning. It still had the 1/4oz sinker, Texas style, ahead of a 4" Kieteck shiner and #3 EWg hook. I removed the 1/4" weight and went up to the pool. I couldn't get three consecutive good cast without a birds nest. Angering. But it proved his point. I almost got it working but the brake was all the way up and the tension had to be increased a good bit (not how I want to fish). Proves to me that this reel functions best with 1/4 ounce or more of 12 or higher test line.
Would love to hear from you all on this.

Solitario Lupo

My 80lb braid sure doesn’t match my reels or rod haha. I starting to think you have to learn how to set your tension. Wind your bait to top of rod hold tip in air upward and push the button. Did it fall fast if so tighten tension try again. You want it to fall slow the slower the better.

Don

Yes, you are correct. I did all that, but it seems that the potential of this real is not conducive to casting light lures. So the 4 inch kiteck was not heavy enough without the added weight of a quarter ounce sinker.. I could almost back the tension off all the way, and the Lord still wasn’t heavy enough to fall. I’m gonna put 15 or 17 pound floro on it and this will be my deepwater rod. Don’t forget that your 80 pound braid is the same thickness as 20 pound mono. And this real cast 20 pound mono very nicely.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Line weight is akin to line diameter. Manufacturers list recommended line weight though some note the actual line, like Shimano for example lists power pro.

Find out what your reel manufacturer is using for line and you can figure out the diameter by searching the line.

I prefer to throw Ned rigs on a bait caster and I tried everything I could to make my Curado 71 work with 8lb line but it just can’t be done….without scissor cutting moments. ;). I finally broke down and bought a Curado BFS and that solved the issue.

Solitario Lupo

Yes, you are correct. I did all that, but it seems that the potential of this real is not conducive to casting light lures. So the 4 inch kiteck was not heavy enough without the added weight of a quarter ounce sinker.. I could almost back the tension off all the way, and the Lord still wasn’t heavy enough to fall. I’m gonna put 15 or 17 pound floro on it and this will be my deepwater rod. Don’t forget that your 80 pound braid is the same thickness as 20 pound mono. And this real cast 20 pound mono very nicely.
For smaller lures I go to spinning gear. Some of the smaller lures i feel like trying to kill them by throwing my arm out with the baitcaster and pretty much got a nest almost every time. Thumb was definitely needed for smaller lures.

Don

For smaller lures I go to spinning gear. Some of the smaller lures i feel like trying to kill them by throwing my arm out with the baitcaster and pretty much got a nest almost every time. Thumb was definitely needed for smaller lures.
Haha. I know the feeling. I will have a nice restored spinning reel with me. I use spincast for close up weedy waters. I’ll use these baitcasters for heavier lures and trolling.

Don

In this continuing saga, after removing the weight and finding out that the reel would not cast I went out and bought 20lb Floro....biggest mistake yet. It was worse that the 12 lb biggame that I took off. With the slightest inconsistency in my cast it would bird nest. It seems that the line was too stiff it would loosen all the way to the spool. Horrible. I got to thinking (smoke), if it got worse when I added much stiffer line maybe I need a supple line. I loaded it with 8lb Siege (one of the more supple lines out there). Wow. Back on track. It didn't do so well with the 4" kieteck alone but once I added the 1/4 ounce bullet back on it was perfect. I'm struck by how accurate these units are.