Baitcasting For Dummies, Continuing saga

Don

Lol, when you got your first car did you find the first gear and keep it there for life or did you learn to shift and back and turn. Did you keep it running, or learn to start and stop it, and make improvements on it? Hmmm? Good, then I trust you to take me fishing in July where I'll show you how the fishing gear works.
By the way don't you have three jobs to go do?

Don

And what is PA doing here? The title is Baitcasting for Dummies.....

By the way PA do you use these for Walleye and Stripers?

Three more days and I'm on Vacation and all this prep and planning will stop...three more days.

truecrimson

Lol, when you got your first car did you find the first gear and keep it there for life or did you learn to shift and back and turn. Did you keep it running, or learn to start and stop it, and make improvements on it? Hmmm? Good, then I trust you to take me fishing in July where I'll show you how the fishing gear works.
By the way don't you have three jobs to go do?
Well, we had automatic transmissions on our dinosaurs by the time I learned. I'm not as old an old fart as you are ;) But that's a bad analogy. All of the things you listed are components of driving. Those are like putting on the right weight or diameter of line, setting your tension and brake properly, and using your thumb. Twice now you have figured out the line, and weight required by that setup and yet you keep tinkering. You have forgotten your Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland; "Begin at the beginning, and when you get to the end, stop." You forgot the stop part

A more accurate analogy would be you keep changing out car parts under the hood when you have already found some that work. I just let the mechanic put the right parts in and don't tinker with it at all myself. You already found the right parts. Twice. Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Better schedule a date for July so I can put it on the calendar, or it will get filled in with something else. I've probably forgotten how rods and reels work by this point so a refresher course from such a learned philosopher and notable fish whisperer would be good 🤣

4 jobs. 1 I haven't given a shift to since December, 1 I only cover on call when the full timer is off and they have never called when I am doing that, 1 is the full time job, and 1 is the main part time job. Both of those last two and my wife keep me busy enough. Full time has had plenty of OT available so I'm getting it while it's hot. They also just fired someone, so there's more OT there unless a night shifter or a PRN slides into it quickly. The plan is to eliminate debt and take care of some things and then stop working so much.

Don

The plan is to eliminate debt and take care of some things and then stop working so much.
Uh Huh...there is no shortcut.
I say Mauch Chunk, Blue Marsh, Upper Woods, July 27 or 28.

We could be adventurous and do Shahola, Frances E Walter or others. Maybe others will come to watch us and perhaps cook for us.

You: "I've probably forgotten how rods and reels work by this point so a refresher course from such a learned philosopher and notable fish whisperer would be good 🤣"

Please take this more seriously!

pabassman

And what is PA doing here? The title is Baitcasting for Dummies.....

By the way PA do you use these for Walleye and Stripers?

Three more days and I'm on Vacation and all this prep and planning will stop...three more days.
I'm just here enjoying the show lol.

I try to use the appropriate tackle for the situation, regardless the species. I use spinning rods when casting most stickbaits. Rogues and Husky jerks are a bit lighter and pretty flighty. Redfins and spooks are on baitcasters to to their size.

Don

The only one on your list that I have is the Spook. Bought it for Bluefishing years ago. Never used it in Freshwater.
I should be able to cast all of these, at least downwind, in normal conditions. But it looks troublesome to cast a lure with that much surface area upwind or sideways, at least for me.
5" Spook 7/8oz
4.5" Rogue 3/8
5" Redfin 5/8
4" Husky Jerk 3/8

Don

Well, we had automatic transmissions on our dinosaurs by the time I learned. I'm not as old an old fart as you are ;) But that's a bad analogy. All of the things you listed are components of driving. Those are like putting on the right weight or diameter of line, setting your tension and brake properly, and using your thumb. Twice now you have figured out the line, and weight required by that setup and yet you keep tinkering. You have forgotten your Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland; "Begin at the beginning, and when you get to the end, stop." You forgot the stop part

A more accurate analogy would be you keep changing out car parts under the hood when you have already found some that work. I just let the mechanic put the right parts in and don't tinker with it at all myself. You already found the right parts. Twice. Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Better schedule a date for July so I can put it on the calendar, or it will get filled in with something else. I've probably forgotten how rods and reels work by this point so a refresher course from such a learned philosopher and notable fish whisperer would be good 🤣

4 jobs. 1 I haven't given a shift to since December, 1 I only cover on call when the full timer is off and they have never called when I am doing that, 1 is the full time job, and 1 is the main part time job. Both of those last two and my wife keep me busy enough. Full time has had plenty of OT available so I'm getting it while it's hot. They also just fired someone, so there's more OT there unless a night shifter or a PRN slides into it quickly. The plan is to eliminate debt and take care of some things and then stop working so much.

It shares a shelf with "Do your best and caulk the rest!"
1718913215406.jpeg

Last edited:

A-5

Don if you adjust your bait caster properly yon don’t even need a thumb. Yes most of the time you need a thumb. But not always. Just a light stopper at the end is needed.

Don

Don if you adjust your bait caster properly yon don’t even need a thumb. Yes most of the time you need a thumb. But not always. Just a light stopper at the end is needed.
Any seem to get the dog onto my chest.

I just had a love affair week In Maine. Due to the weather I didn’t get to fish but two days. I love these three baitcasters. Fast, far and tough. They are almost as fast or are equal to the reset of “retrieve and re-cast” as the spincast but the Baitcaster is more accurate. Also the baitcasters I have aren’t able to throw tiny baits. Someday I’ll get a BFS and use really lite lures.
The irony of this trip is that I only caught one big fish. Maybe 22-24” salmon. I caught it on a tiny Daiwa spincast like it was nothing. What would a salmon that size weigh? It felt like 3-4! Any guess?
It’s a 32 quart cooler for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_9587.jpeg
    IMG_9587.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Don

It seems that 6”-12” give the most consistent casts. With all other types of reels I’ve used 2-3’. 1720016973211.jpeg

Don

I'm still having fun learning to use the baitcaster instinctively. For instance, if I stand on a boat or doc I can cast side arm or overhead, but if something changes I can be bird nested in a heartbeat. Yesterday in South Jersey I fished under a low bridge, from the boat, with 3' of clearance above the rail of the boat. We had to duck to cast and could not stand. Plus I had extra rods blocking me one way and a passenger blocking the other. So all casts were easygoing lobbs...birdnests were frequent but I've finally learned not to pull on them right away and they come out easily. I also had spincast reels with me but I'm on a mission to become a Pennsylvania Dutch version of KVD or BLat. So I kept on with the BC reels.

Don

Latest Report: I've now fished several weeks without a cut out. using 8, 10 and 20 lb mono or copoly line. Pretty slick I say! Next year a BFS will be in order. If my success continues I'll also switch to braid. Got my eye on 20lb 13X. The irony is that I've caught the last few fish on an old old Johnson 100B.

Unknown.jpeg