Baitcasting For Dummies, Continuing saga

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Latest Report: I've now fished several weeks without a cut out. using 8, 10 and 20 lb mono or copoly line. Pretty slick I say! Next year a BFS will be in order. If my success continues I'll also switch to braid. Got my eye on 20lb 13X. The irony is that I've caught the last few fish on an old old Johnson 100B.

View attachment 6453

What is a cut out?

I just moved to believe it or not, mono on two rods. Both of them are dedicated to spinbaits though where I want stretch in the line for better hookups.

Reactions: Don

Don

What is a cut out?

I just moved to believe it or not, mono on two rods. Both of them are dedicated to spinbaits though where I want stretch in the line for better hookups.
Yes Mono in more open water...braid for weeds. I understand that four strand cuts best but I doubt I need that feature. If you get a chance try the Advance Copolymer. pretty flat line, thin and strong. With mono what test are you using? I just ordered a 1200yrd spool of 6lb and am about to switch a bunch of reels to that. While I like the Seige and Elite by the end of the year they look like Shirley Temples curls.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
With mono what test are you using?
8 and 10. There is a possibility I move the 8 down to 6 yet on the BFS reel due to diameter. I’m a big fan of original Stren in the purple package. It’s all I used in my trout spinning days.

Don

We will see how it goes but I am thinking 6 soon but I've no need to hurry things. As I've said I need correct rods first, it'll all come together.