What did you Catch Today?

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
That is some nice catching there @Blackcat Outdoors

I think I am going to pick up some plastic helgramites and give them a run next time I am out on the river. I may actually have some, have to check the rack. Lol

We use to crush smallies on the Perk with real ones when I was in my teens, can’t believe I haven’t thought to try them on the Skook this year.

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
No pics from Friday’s Schuylkill River outing but we managed a handful of smallies that day. I blame the late start as we did not get on the water until 11am, life had other plans but not going fishing is just ridiculous! ;)

I did witness a neat behavior pattern I have never seen there, 2 different decent sized schools of smallies chasing bait. Reminiscent of what I see when chasing stripers in salt water or schools of smallies I see in the fall on Blue Marsh. Pretty neat.

I managed to backlash one of my casting reels to “get the scissors out” mode. It’s been a while since I’ve done that. I like casting light line and light Neds on a baitcaster as opposed to a spinning setup and it presses the limits of my reel so I have to be on my game…..and I was not! I suppose the heat got to me. ;)

Looking forward to some lake fishing this week. Maybe Nox or Beltzville for a first time this year.

MB3

20240524_062829~2.jpg
We hit up Prompton on Friday. Slow to start, broke the ice with the Pickerel then it was on. Rock Bass, fat Gills, Perch, Smallies, more Pickerel, Crappie. The dam side of the lake was on fire. Water Temps were 71 degrees. Best day we have had in a while.

Don

No pics from Friday’s Schuylkill River outing but we managed a handful of smallies that day. I blame the late start as we did not get on the water until 11am, life had other plans but not going fishing is just ridiculous! ;)

I did witness a neat behavior pattern I have never seen there, 2 different decent sized schools of smallies chasing bait. Reminiscent of what I see when chasing stripers in salt water or schools of smallies I see in the fall on Blue Marsh. Pretty neat.

I managed to backlash one of my casting reels to “get the scissors out” mode. It’s been a while since I’ve done that. I like casting light line and light Neds on a baitcaster as opposed to a spinning setup and it presses the limits of my reel so I have to be on my game…..and I was not! I suppose the heat got to me. ;)

Looking forward to some lake fishing this week. Maybe Nox or Beltzville for a first time this year.
Nicely written.
View attachment 6200
We hit up Prompton on Friday. Slow to start, broke the ice with the Pickerel then it was on. Rock Bass, fat Gills, Perch, Smallies, more Pickerel, Crappie. The dam side of the lake was on fire. Water Temps were 71 degrees. Best day we have had in a while.
Nice Pickerel, been running 4, 6, or 8 lb siege. the last 1-2' I attach 17 lb Trilene XL with a triple surgeons not. 12 or 14 would probably do it but I own 17. Haven't been cut since.
I'm determined to get that Jumbo Pickerel like Sheila got a few years ago. Casting deeper into weeds and with bigger Kieteck.

Last edited:

MB3

Hit up a stream in Tobyhanna. As soon as I got in they were biting. Different trout species, Perch, Pickerel, Smallies and Fallfish. I went all the way back to my secret location that never fails me and it failed me lol Over all good day, ~25 fish in total. All on spinner, nothing on 4wt :(

Attachments

• 20240527_082416.jpg
    20240527_082416.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240527_071609.jpg
    20240527_071609.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 20240527_063111.jpg
    20240527_063111.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240527_063734.jpg
    20240527_063734.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Don

Below the dam. Yesterday caught a nice smallmouth on the fly. Big muskie on once again my fly line snapped. Today nothing just a couple follows. Can't believe the size of the smallmouth in the creek. Some of the biggest I've seen for PA.
What are you using for tippet for musky? I'm using 17 mono for pickerel though 12-14 would work too. I heard 30-35 mono is good for Pike and Im sure 50 would be good for anything else. The advantage is its clean transition to the hook and the diminished visibility vs wire or strand.

Solitario Lupo

I run a steel leader but think I'm going to florocarbon for muskie. Don I had one cut 80lb braid like it was nothing and i can barely cut it with a sharp knife. The one I run 20lb mono on it holds up great to their weight but still does not stand up to their teeth. So not sure what I going to do as I think they get leader shy on the smaller lures I'm running for them.

Don

Floro is good but as leader it’s not any tougher than Mono, at least not for strength or visibility in murky water. I was using 30 lb braid as leader and it seemed any little Pickerel would cut it. Frustrating when I could barely cut it cleanly.

truecrimson

Floro is good but as leader it’s not any tougher than Mono, at least not for strength or visibility in murky water. I was using 30 lb braid as leader and it seemed any little Pickerel would cut it. Frustrating when I could barely cut it cleanly.
Back when I fished I used to catch pickerel on light line all the time. They seem mostly to bite the lure or hook and not the line. I'm sure my luck would have run out on that eventually if I had been able to keep fishing ;)

Don

Yes, Sorry you retired from fishing. Fish don't feel any safer though, wonder why? When I use a ball jig with a 4 inch minnow I'd be bit off frequently. When I use spinnerbaits the line rarely touches the teeth.