What did you Catch Today?

Gremcat

Trip out of Jones Beach. Not a fan of party boat trips but with in-laws we took one full side! Only there a day then up to Poughkeepsie. Wanted to stop on the way back for a full day off Montauk but Cathleen had appts for kids before school starts.IMG_3960.jpegIMG_3961.jpegIMG_3907.jpegIMG_3905.jpegimagejpeg_0.jpegimagejpeg_0.jpegimagejpeg_0.jpegimagejpeg_0.jpegimagejpeg_0.jpeg

Gremcat

I only fished the last hour or so. I had three rods going for youngest. He fished 3 hrs or so and had 3 buckets of keepers with 18+ let go. We had a family pool he won and my FILs wife missed boat pool by 1/2”. I ended up with some pretty close to biggest sea bass, a spikey skate that came in backwards, and a fat silver eel.

Hot as blazes, real feel was 104 or something. Thankfully, we were on the shady side. 8/10ths of the team disappeared as the morning wore on. I didn’t realize they all got boat sick 🤢 Heard the cabin was like a war hospital with people sprawled out.

Gremcat

Secret weapon, sand flea/mole crab fish bites on hook with sand eels.

A dad and son next to us were struggling so I hooked a few fish bites for them. They caught some keeper fluke and porgy. The dad was telling the kid he usually stops at the market after to bring home fish. The kid was determined to get a keeper

Don

Got a 30” pickerel at MC I had a random kid reel in for me and a few 2-3 lbs LMB. Kids caught there first crappy but it’s been mostly slow there.
That lake is big enough to have sizable fish and small enough to memorize well. A lot of the best Basser's fish the upper lake after dark.

Don

I wish they had invented cameras when my kids were young. Would love to see their young faces now and then. While their adult faces are beautiful they are full of determination And the realities of life. Would love to see the young innocent faces again. Seems so long ago.

Gremcat

That lake is big enough to have sizable fish and small enough to memorize well. A lot of the best Basser's fish the upper lake after dark.
I see a lot of boats out running green lights or in a few cases no lights. It was pretty good for me and kids like handling bait or playing in water. Just surprised I’m not getting more out deep.

Don

You have to find them out in the deep.
This has been my experience and expectations: In summer, in daylight I catch most bass on park Camping side and Pickerel on Mountain Side. Most perch are on the bottom in the deep end. The bigger Crappy are schooled only, so you must find the school. and undersized Gils are everywhere. Occasionally they are still catching holdover Walleye from when they used to stock them there and the Channel Cats can be large.

Last edited:

troutspinner

Nuts & Bolts Guy
Back chasing smallies today. I swore I was going to stay away but with some flows, I just had to know! ;)

4 nicer ones on various baits. 3 smaller ones on an Ott Defoe Crankbait. Don’s recent thread about cranking got me thinking I still need to give the Ott an honest try. I was surprised I caught smaller fish with it though…I’d still rather throw a spinbait but I know susky guys love their cranks for a reason.

A few smaller ones on various presentations and of course a handful of sunnies as a byproduct of fishing neds.

IMG_2982.jpegIMG_2983.jpegIMG_2985.jpegIMG_2987.jpeg

Back to needing water……