What did you Catch Today?

HenryDavid

Been running up to the Juniata past couple outings since Debbie left the Susquehanna running too high for our summer wading trips. Killing the smallies. If you fish any river system you have to try YUM Hellgramites on a jig head. Anything from dinks to 4+ pounders. Like a fat kid on cake! Sunday it was at least every other cast. My boy was tossing a Googan Squad Jr Scout in Sexy Shad getting nearly as many.
Even landed a few walleye on a white Zara Puppy. Just a slow crank across where we were seeing what seemed like small fish hitting insects. Turned out to be walleye taking things off surface. Little activity till sun was behind trees as water was gin clear this past weekend. Soon after the floating weeds got so bad tossing lures was nearly impossible. Watched the boy get ‘chased’ by a giant snapper out from shore and a family of raccoons crawling through the flooded shoreline weeds searching for food. All in all a great outing! They are getting few and far between with all the kids sporting events going on.
What size hellgrammites? Any tips on rigging them? I've got a bunch of 1/8 oz. jig heads

Reactions: Don

WADMAN

Juniata is blown out after getting 5-7” off rain the other night. Had the lower Susky a mess. Trucked a little further north to the old stomping grounds. Hit the area from the east shore as water levels are up 1.5-2’ above normal summer run. Hellgramite was the bait of choice for high sun smallies. Lot of swift runs into deep holes with current levels. Once the sun began to set the fish hit everything that touched the water. 4 largest fish all came from same spot in just a few casts. Top water. White Zara Puppy or black Chug Bug. Biggest here. Just something about a top water blow up by a 20+” smallie in the fading sun!!!
Ending our outing my son and I got a pod of bass schooled up on the up river point of an island. We hit over 15 fish before dad said it was time to go. But, the fish were still hitting and the boy didn’t stop. He got another 2 and I insisted he stop and start crossing river. Just one last cast and fish when taught himself to listen and leave while the getting is good. Last fish up to him and lipped. Fish flopped around and he lost his grip. Fish straight down into water with lure still attached. Soon said lure was attached to fish and son. A hook buried deep into shin area. He went straight down into water screaming. I looked back and could see fish flopping around while attached to my son. Funny now. Well, to be honest, it was funny then as well! His buddy grabbed the fish and got it off hook but lure remained to the hilt in sons leg. He walked nearly a mile with lure in shin back to truck. At one point we seen a large bass cruising the shallows. He freaked out afraid it would hit lure attached to him.
A little minor surgery 2 hours after incident when we got home and he is as good as new. Planning on biking with his buddy to a local creek for more fishing.
Never once have I had hooked myself bad enough I couldn’t yank it out. This was the 4th hook we had to have pulled out of one of us this year!!!

Attachments

• BA83580F-9582-4F8F-ABF2-426FFB2A4342.jpeg
    BA83580F-9582-4F8F-ABF2-426FFB2A4342.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • C1B557BA-7FB1-4D6D-9C5E-55D9E75B63AF.jpeg
    C1B557BA-7FB1-4D6D-9C5E-55D9E75B63AF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Don

Juniata is blown out after getting 5-7” off rain the other night. Had the lower Susky a mess. Trucked a little further north to the old stomping grounds. Hit the area from the east shore as water levels are up 1.5-2’ above normal summer run. Hellgramite was the bait of choice for high sun smallies. Lot of swift runs into deep holes with current levels. Once the sun began to set the fish hit everything that touched the water. 4 largest fish all came from same spot in just a few casts. Top water. White Zara Puppy or black Chug Bug. Biggest here. Just something about a top water blow up by a 20+” smallie in the fading sun!!!
Ending our outing my son and I got a pod of bass schooled up on the up river point of an island. We hit over 15 fish before dad said it was time to go. But, the fish were still hitting and the boy didn’t stop. He got another 2 and I insisted he stop and start crossing river. Just one last cast and fish when taught himself to listen and leave while the getting is good. Last fish up to him and lipped. Fish flopped around and he lost his grip. Fish straight down into water with lure still attached. Soon said lure was attached to fish and son. A hook buried deep into shin area. He went straight down into water screaming. I looked back and could see fish flopping around while attached to my son. Funny now. Well, to be honest, it was funny then as well! His buddy grabbed the fish and got it off hook but lure remained to the hilt in sons leg. He walked nearly a mile with lure in shin back to truck. At one point we seen a large bass cruising the shallows. He freaked out afraid it would hit lure attached to him.
A little minor surgery 2 hours after incident when we got home and he is as good as new. Planning on biking with his buddy to a local creek for more fishing.
Never once have I had hooked myself bad enough I couldn’t yank it out. This was the 4th hook we had to have pulled out of one of us this year!!!
"This was the 4th hook we had to have pulled out of one of us this year!!!"
I'll take you recommendations, read all your posts, steal your favorite spots but I won't get near you nor Tetanus Tim, lol.....

truecrimson

I have had 2 stuck so bad that I had to go to urgent care. One of those they ended up sending me to ER. That's when I started crushing all my barbs.

Reactions: A-5

Melvinp

Where ya able to save the hook that lures a catcher for sure lol kinda.All jokes aside it’s no joke once watched a friend cut a small treble out of his leg with a Swiss Army knife babaaaaa not fun

Gremcat

Got the kids out to Germantown again. They fished 45 mins and the boys got a couple 16” trout each. The 12 yo hooked a big pali, handed the rod to his little brother Adrian, and Adrian decided to keep it. Att the that Elaina decided she was done. She doesn’t like keeping them and they wanted shiners which she doesn’t like to use anymore. Grabbing Annie’s with the boys then heading to Mauch chunk in the rain. No musky chasing for dad today or fishing for jumbo trout but I’d rather have the boys out and off screens anyway.

Gremcat

One LMB off the fishing dock in Mauch chunk on a shiner then the heavy wind and pouring rain chased us away. Adrian would’ve roughed it in his shorts and light rain coat but his mama would kill me if he got sick so we ran.

Elaina decided she wants to fish for musky so I’m plotting our next stop. Maybe shoreline at Beltzville way up the channel or maybe Leaser again though I didn’t get a bite from the yak or see anyone hooked up on anything my last trip. Maybe with rain and school back it won’t be a zoo.IMG_4524.jpeg

Don

One LMB off the fishing dock in Mauch chunk on a shiner then the heavy wind and pouring rain chased us away. Adrian would’ve roughed it in his shorts and light rain coat but his mama would kill me if he got sick so we ran.

Elaina decided she wants to fish for musky so I’m plotting our next stop. Maybe shoreline at Beltzville way up the channel or maybe Leaser again though I didn’t get a bite from the yak or see anyone hooked up on anything my last trip. Maybe with rain and school back it won’t be a zoo.View attachment 6481
We’ve passed static Hybrid Musky over 3’ long in Lehigh all around Walnutport. Very scary looking.

Solitario Lupo

Elaina decided she wants to fish for musky so I’m plotting our next stop. Maybe shoreline at Beltzville way up the channel or maybe Leaser again though I didn’t get a bite from the yak or see anyone hooked up on anything my last trip. Maybe with rain and school back it won’t be a zoo.

If anything I would go for below the dam. If you can see them then you know they are there and can be easier to get. Bring big gear and the biggest lures you got. Cast them over and over. Look for rocks and if a drop off just jig the lure in that spot. Also run the lure to the very end.
Good luck.

Gremcat

If anything I would go for below the dam. If you can see them then you know they are there and can be easier to get. Bring big gear and the biggest lures you got. Cast them over and over. Look for rocks and if a drop off just jig the lure in that spot. Also run the lure to the very end.
Good luck.
Below Dam at Leaser or Beltzville? I haven’t seen musky below Beltzville in ‘Po. Saw what had to be a Striper once when I snagged it on a salmon egg hook and it rolled telling me the snag had fins.

Ended up finding out Kellners had a catfish derby for kids going Sat. Got a big goose egg somehow and only saw 3 landed with 5-6 more stringered. Went back today and couldn’t get one. The folks there said they stocked 300 lbs for the derby and only 50 lbs came in. I saw one decent tail all day today after church and we threw liver, crawlers, shrimp, big shiners, heck even semi soft hard dog food and shrimp with a healthy coat of krill oil, not a nibble and Kellner is a tiny pond. IDK what is up but no one catching. Will maybe visit one more time to see if they are just slow to bite then go back to hunting musky with Elaina.

Gremcat

Kellners is kids only over in Tamaqua. First time there was yesterday and coincidence it was kids derby. Stocked 5 days ago so unless Tamaquans sneak in after dark fish must be there but it’s maybe 300’ x 50’ and clear except 30% of milfoil across the middle. Maybe all those catfish are hiding in that stuff but even punching in through that all day brought up nothing.